chapter 1

*5 years ago*

"oh what a pretty day,"said out loud. I was walking home from school, and admiring the beautiful flowers as I walked pastthem, I even picked a few for mother, they were bright red roses. I had poked my finger in the process and it started to bleed a lot. I heard of a girl bleed I to death on the news a few days ago, so I wasafraid of it happening to me.I began to run home, and constantly checking my amou t of blood loss along the way.

Mrs. Smith was watering her flowers as I went past so I decided to stop for a bandaid and some help.

"Mrs. Smith, I'm bleeding," I said holding up my finger towards her face.

Mrs.Smith chuckled to herself, she had a kind wrinkly face that made me feel happy when I was sad. "I don't think it is life threatening, but I do believe you could use a bandaid. "

"What about the girl that bled to death though?"

"Well, I believe that is different because she had a hand bit off by a crocodile at the zoo, and it was a few hours before somekne noticed her laying on the ground."

"Thank you" I said taking the bandaid and feeling relieved that I wasn't going to die. I left the house with two oreo cookies, and decided to stop by a friend's house.

Megan was my best friends, and I went to her house a lot when I was bored. When I got ther I asked for a cup with water for my roses that I had picked for mother, but after Meganhanded me the cup with water, she sadly said, "I'm sorry Mary, but my momsays you have to go home since you're mom probably doesn't know you're here."

Since I couldn't go anywhere else I decided I should go home. Theroses smelled so good, I could hardly wait to see mother's expresion when I gave them to her, I walked up the driveway, and heard yelling. I was curious because mother and I lived alone together, ever since father had been killed.

All ofa sudden I heard a scream, and shout of pain. I froze, it was my mother's voice, she was hurt. I dropped the flowers, caring of nothi g at the moment, but mother. A man ran out the back door as I entered the front. Mother was laying on the floor, looking so pale. There was a knife sticking out of her chest, and blood dropped onto the floor.

"Mother!"I shouted in horror, and quickly kneeled by her side.

"Mary, my beautiful daughter, I love you," and then mother's eyes closed, never to open again. Her body was so pale. I didn't know what to do so I laid beside her on the floor crying, until I was drug away. One of the neighbors must have heard the screams and called the police.

I took one last glance at mother, as a sheet was laid over her face. I was taken to orphanage, and then put in a foster home to help me recover, but never again did I see megan or mrs. smith or any of my small town.