chapter 5

I woke up feeling confused, yet I had a warm, fuzzy, happy feeling. It was as if I was confused about where I was, yet somehow I knew where I was and I liked it.

my eyes began to focus on my surroundings. I was outside, in the woods, and there weren't any people around, except one. The person had an arm protectively rapped around me, and I realized that that is what was giving me the fuzzy feeling inside. The person that the arm belonged to was Jake, my crush. His eyes were opend as ours met each others gaze. Thats when I remembered our escape.

I sat straight up and shook my head to get rid of any sleepiness. Thoughts pulsed through my head, why had I done this, what was I thinking, what eould happen to joey, and what would happen now?

I starred at Jake, and thats when I felt a slight fear. I was all alone out in the woods with a teenage boy, that had a crush on me. oh no. Surely he wasnt that type of person, but what if he was? I made a silent prayer right then and there to God for protection, safety, and guidence before standing up. I knew I couldnt turn back now so I calmly asked, "So what happens now?"

Jake stood up, "Well first of all, we need to buy a tent for shelter, and we need to get farther away. With the money we have now we can buy a tent, and the food will last us until we get some more money. I'll try to find a job in order to pay for our food and maybe eventually a cheap hotel. The most important thing is that we try to keep a low profile, since the police will be looking for us."

I took it all in, it was all so real, because it was real. my mind pulsed as I asked a question that made me very nervous, "How will we find my mom's murder? Will we like you promised, I'll understand if you decide not to."

"Of course I'll still help you Mary, we're in this together, remember?"

I sighed, "But how? It sounds so, so, so I don't know. Impossible?"

Jake said "I'm not quite sure how, but we'll find a way, trust me Mary."

Trust. What a stong word it is. One of my biggest struggles, and I'm not proud of that. Even though I wanted to trust Jake with all my heart, something was holding me back. Not all of me just a small portion. Of course, I couldn't tell Jake this, not with all of the stuff he was trying to do for me, it just wouldn't be right. So, I took a deep breath and said, "Yes Jake, of course I'll trust you, I always will."

And with that we started to continue our journey to a store, in search of a cheap tent.