Chapter Two

I let out a groan of frustration, kicking the coffee table that sat in front of me as I sat on the couch. I continued to try and rip the stuck marshmallow and grahm cracker from the plate, but it stayed.

My bangs fell from the headband that sat on my head and covered my eyes. Blowing it out of them, I looked up and saw my mother, Angeline, standing there with a raised eyebrow.

Need help? she signed, pointing to the paper plate in my hands.

Nodding, I handed her the white demonic disk and glared at it. With a small tug, the s'more was off of the plate and in her hands. Staring in disbelief, I stood and walked over to her, taking the chocolaty goodness away from her and shoving it into my mouth.

You are so over dramatic...and hungry. She stated, smiling at the end.

Oh hush. If I remember correctly, and I do, last week, when I made that Dutch chocolate cake, you wouldn't let anyone touch it! I signed back, a huge smirk on my face.

Touche. She responded before walking into the kitchen, the plate still in her hand.

With a shrug, I finished chewing and walked up the stairs that lead up to my bedroom. Opening the door, I smiled at the familiar, brightly-colored walls.

You see, my family and I moved here, here being Jacksonville, Mississippi, in 2006. About two months after I moved here, I became obsessed with bright colors.

So, I decided to paint my room with bright colors; splashes of purple, walls of pink, swirls of lime green and orange, stripes and polka dots of silver and turquoise, and bright yellow underneath it all. I guess you could say I took an interest in art.

Laying on my magenta bedspread, I stuck my hand under the mattress, feeling the worn out edges of my diary. Pulling it out, I pulled my feet to my chest, sat the book there, grabbed the black ink pen off of the bedside table, and put it between my teeth.

I took off my necklace, the key to my diary, and placed it on the winged-heart shape on the book. Pushing down on the piece of jewelry, the diary lock popped open.

Taking the pen out of mouth, I began to write.

Dear Diary,

Today was hotter than ever. Well, I guess it wasn't smart to wear jeans, but, I'm difficult.  Laura came over today, acting stupid. She ate almost all of my toast! I was so mad.

Nathaniel was over, like always. I love how blond his hair is. It matches just right with his blue-grey eyes and tanned skin.

Listen to me, I'm turning into some love-sick puppy. Anywho, school was boring, except for art. We got to paint today.

I painted a sunset over a bay, the water's colors taking the color of the sun. At lunch, Laura and Trevor began making plans for the Spring Dance.

It turns out that Laura already had her dress picked out: a light yellow dress with a dark blue ribbon tied around the waist. How ironic, that's our school colors.

Well, I guess that's all. See ya!

                                  March 14, 2011

Putting the diary back, I jumped off of my bed and ran back down the stairs, almost running into someone's chest.

Hands were on my shoulders, keeping me balanced. I looked up and saw my brother Spencer, his hair short.

Cut your hair? I asked, pointing to his head.

Yeah, Mia wanted it short. He signed back, referring to his girlfriend.

Nodding, I hugged him, looking behind him and becoming caught in a pair of blue-grey eyes. After pulling away from Spencer's grip, I walked towards Nathaniel, high-fived him, and walked into the kitchen.

Once in there, I rested my head against the cabinet's base, taking in deep breaths, trying to calm down my fluttering heart.

Lord, oh Lord. Why me?