Wherever I Go

I stood there, my carry on at my feet. Alyx walked over to me her suitcase trailing behind her. The tears welled up in my eyes. Slowly, one by one, they slipped out. Her eyes were puffy and red from all the tears previously shed.

Everything was suddenly in slow motion. She dropped her bags and walked the last few remaining feet to me. I walked towards her, wrapping my arms around her. I felt her arms wrap around me. We stood there, hugging each other for the last time.

We were both going off to college. The sad thing was we weren’t going to the same college. I was going to Julliard to get an acting degree, while Alyx was going to Stanford to become an English teacher. It sucked so much; I didn’t want to leave her. But I knew this was her dream, and she knew acting was mine.

Alyx will always be my best friend, and I know I will always before. We had been best friends since the 6th grade when my parents made me move to tiny La Center. I’d hated it at first. La Center was so small compared to Austin. I hadn’t wanted to leave my friends behind. But moving to La Center was the best thing I ever did. I had met Alyx, my best friend. I had even met Tyler, my boyfriend of two years. He had already left a week ago to go to Yale.

“Flight 238 to New York City is now boarding.” The lady called out over the intercom. I pulled out of Alyx’s embrace, wiping away some of the tears. I gave her a sad smile and picked up my bag.

“I guess this is goodbye.” I said.

“Goodbye means forgetting. And I’m not going to forget. And neither are you. So, this is see ya later.” She said.

I nodded. “See ya later. I love you. Don’t forget that.”

“I won’t. Love you too.” Alyx pulled me into one last quick hug before she picked up her bags to go board her flight. I watched as she walked away.

“Flight 238 to New York City final boarding call.”

I picked up my bags and walked over to the counter where the lady was standing. I handed her my ticket before shuffling into the plane. I looked back one last time. I saw Alyx; she had turned around in the same moment.  She gave me a sad smile and a small wave. I returned her the same.

I took my seat on the plane. A few more tears escaped my ears. As I went to turn my phone off, I got a new text. It was from Alyx.

You’ll be with me wherever I go.