six // healed

Walking into my house, I found out that my mum wasn't even home. Thank god. I wouldn't want to explain why I was ditching school, especially me. Who would have known that out of anyone in the whole entire school, it was me who broke up a fight, me that saved one of my friends, it was me. Sighing, I threw my backpack on the floor, it leaning up against the couch. I heard the screen and front door close, followed along with the sound of shoes hitting the cracked wood flooring. Turning around I saw Niall standing in the entrance to the short hallway, him looking around the living room. The dark bruise around his left eye had become darker since they left the school.

  "You can just, set your backpack next to mine. I'll be right back." I said, my voice filled with exhaustion. Niall nodded silently--surprise--and threw his bag next to mine. As I walked to the kitchen I kicked my shoes off, throwing them next to the shoe holder by the door. Entering the small kitchen I gripped the counter, shutting my eyes tight as nausea overwhelmed me again. Wincing I leaned my head forward, it now resting against the cool wood of the cabinet overhead. In just a few short seconds, the sensation was gone as quickly as it had hit me. Opening my eyes, I tried to catch my breath that I had somehow lost in just the split-second that passed. Unclenching my hands, I brought them up and rubbed my eyes, shaking my head to clear it. Turning around I came face to face with Niall, whom was standing in the archway. A look of worry on his face.

   "Are you o-OK?" Niall asked quietly. His voice only a whisper, but loud enough to hear due to the silence of the room. My hands fell to my sides as I sniffed.

   "Yea, just a headache that I've had since this morning. Er, uh, do you maybe want some ice for your eye? They looked like they hit you pretty hard." I asked, quickly changing the subject. Niall's hand shot up to his hurt eye, as if I just reminded him of it. He nodded slowly, his eyes trailing to the floor.

   I walked over to the fridge and opened it up, searching through the icebox till I found a icepack. Taking it out, I grabbed a spare towel on the counter top, wrapping the icepack in it. Turning around I handed it to Niall, who reached out and quietly took it, putting it up to his eye and holding it there.

   "Are you OK though, since..." I asked wearily, my voice going quiet. Niall bit his lip and nodded.

   "Thanks." He whispered again. I knew what he was talking about, he didn't even need to say it.

   "No problem, just that I've never seen them get physical with you 'is all." Niall looked down, his shoulders slumped. An awkward silence filled the room shortly after.

   I gave out a small cough, "So, er, what do you want to do? I got an xbox?" Niall seemed to light up at the words, him standing up taller then before.

   "Alright then." I replied, walking past him into the living room, him following after me.

   *~*

 It was now almost 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and me and Niall were still at it in Call of Duty. To my surprise he was actually good at it.

   "Do you have an xbox at your house?" I asked, my eyes still glued to the telly screen. Out of my parallel vision I could see Niall freeze up, his hands still on the remote. Quickly he turned towards me, completely forgetting about the game.

   "What time is it?!" He asked, his eyes wide in panic. Pausing the game, I turned toward him, watching as he quickly stood up grabbing his jacket. He leaned down and threw his shoes on, not even bothering to tie them.

   "Er, I think like.. 2? Classes just got out I think." I replied. Niall continued to run around the room grabbing his things. "Why? Do you--"

   'No, I-I need to get h-home. I-I need-d to-o!" He practically yelled. Which caught me off guard, Niall never yelled. Never actually talked. He grabbed his backpack, running towards the door. "I-I'm sorry, j-just... see you later." Niall simply waved at me, then ran down the hallway and out the front door.