act i

"January to December,

do you want to be a member?

Lonely Hearts Club,

do you want to be with somebody like me?"

~Lonely Hearts Club, Marina and the Diamonds

December 31, 1999

It was the dawn of the New Year, when January and December met. They were at a high school party, where the night was young, the mood was thriving, and the feel of youth was in the air. January had already downed several mixed drinks poured questionably into red solo cups and a cocktail of pills, but she didn't care. Free booze meant free buzz and free buzz meant free fun. She laughed and hiked the hem of her dress a little bit higher and her neckline a little bit lower and she went off to do whatever January did when she was drunk.

December stood off to the side, with a bottle of cheap whiskey she nicked from the cabinet, sending a smile to the others who were standing alone. She rewarded herself today as a cheat day, knowing she would starve herself for it later. She downed the remnants of the bottle, almost spitting it out. The taste of it washed away the taste of bile rising up her throat. She set the bottle down, elbows brushing against her protruding ribs. December licked her lips and shook her head. She was starting to feel tired.

She was awoken from her silence when a shorter girl slammed into her side, letting out a small shriek of surprise. Together, they toppled to the ground, their legs entwined like a strand of December's curly hair. January giggled and sat up, still on top of December.

"Want a Cheeto?" January offered, despite not having one, glitter stuck to the temples of her head. December could feel her heart slamming against her chest in rhythmic, rapid beats. Because, after all, she was a lesbian, and January was fucking hot.

"No,thanks." December mumbled. She was supposed to ask her to get off, but she was rather enjoying the contact. She could see that by her slurred words and wandering eyes that January was drunk. "My name is December." January's eyes lit up and she rolled to the side, shoulder to shoulder with December. Their legs tripped a couple of incoherent persons wandering around in a haze.

"My name is January." January rolled on her side, facing her, and December did the same. The people around them were alert and staring at the large screen, an enthusiastic voice over nearly filling the room (nothing could beat the drunken conversations of a high school party). The speaker was just backdrop to both of them.

"5!"The house shook with the cries of teenagers with the sole purpose of forgetting. The beginning and end of years were always the loneliest.

"4!"January peered at December, and she decided that if she were any more sober, she wouldn't have made one hell of a night. "Can I kiss you?"

"3!"December looked at her. She noticed her small, but full lips tinted in a soft bubblegum. She noticed her disheveled blond hair, and the sad glint in her eye.

"2!"December decided that she was beautiful. "Yes,"

"1!"For a second, they stared at each other and reveled in the idea of having someone to share the New Year's with another.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR'S!" While the party consisted of skin against skin,looking for an escape. Two degenerate adolescents found themselves on the hardwood floor, lips against lips, finding a shelter in each other.

It was the beginning of the new era, the year 2000.

This is how two decisions shaped two lives.

This was the start of January and December through the Years.