Chapter 5

***

Finally summer break! Now I have much more time to post chapters...okay I admit it, I'm just plain lazy. :/ Sorry about not posting for so long but I'm busy over summer break too! I just got back from Paris, the city of love! It was so beautiful! I wish you were there with me! But anyway enjoy chapter 5! First comment for dedication! ;)

Love ya! <3

-Michelle :)

***

Chapter 5

            We soon flew over buildings that all seemed to aluminate a faint, blue glow that lit up the city. Most of the buildings were in the shape of a cylinder. Only a few buildings, like the center tower, are shaped like pyramids. Suddenly we halted to a stop.

“Why are we stopping?” I asked Edmund. “Are the disks broken or something?”

“No,” he answered. “These ‘disks’ are called ‘mio’s and we stopped because this is as far as the mios can take us.”

“Well, that’s pretty useless.”

“It’s because the Sim power is too strong in the main city. If the mios go into the main city, well, we actually don’t know what would happen. They could blow up, go haywire, or something else horrible. And speaking of that…we are actually too far in the main city with the mios. The border line where the mios should have stopped at was a few miles back,” Edmund babbled nervously, “I wonder why they didn’t stop earlier.”

A middle-aged villager trotted towards us and bowed in front of Edmund.

“Oh, Sir Edmund, isn’t it terrible?” She muttered still in the bow. “The Sim is already weakening! The border line has pushed inward.”

“You may rise,” Edmund told her, “And yes, I can see that the forces are slowly depleting. Children, we should go now.”

The woman stood up with a little effort.

“Thank you Sir Edmund! Good luck!” the woman called after us as we started to walk into the main city.

~

Even though people still seemed a bit anxious they were still bustling around the streets, which were lined with shops and markets. First, I thought they were paying with unusually large coins, but when we got a closer look I found out that they were balls of fog, that naturally appeared in their hands of the villagers effortlessly. It was as if they appeared out of thin air.

“I know we’re in a bit of a hurry but I guess I could show you children the markets first.” Edmund said noticing my gaze with a grin. “Let’s go this way.”

“That would be so sick!” Falen said excitedly already rushing off to a market station.

We followed after him quickly and found him at a weapon station. Falen had just picked up a glowing sword when the salesman, who was organizing the daggers, noticed Falen.

“Ah, I see you have chosen the Illusion sword,” The salesman said to Falen gazing at the object in deep thought, “otherwise known as the sword of mirrors. This artifact has a lot of history…”

The salesman exchanged glances with Edmund. Edmund’s eyes widened.

“It can’t be…” he muttered to himself.

“Why is it called the sword of mirrors?” Falen wondered, still not taking his eyes of the Illusion sword.

“It can reflect any spell that is shot at it. Here, I can give you a demonstration.” The salesman said picking up a stick from one of the tables, “Now hold the sword up in front of your face.”

Falen slowly raised the sword up to his face. The salesman waved the stick in the air for a few seconds then shot a weak blast of wind toward the sword. The wind bounced off the Illusion sword, and backfired into the salesman’s face, and making his hair stick out.

“That was a weak shot,” The salesman said fixing his hair, “But it can be quite useful in a battle against other magic’s.”

Falen looked back at Edmund. “Can I have it please?” he said with a pleading look in his chocolate colored puppy-dog eyes.

If you can resist those eyes then you should probably go to a doctor.

“I don’t see why not, it will give you some practice beforehand if we have a battle.” Edmund said smiling.

“Whoop!” Falen said happily, his eyes almost glowing in excitement, “So how much is it?”

“Fifteen Rems.” The salesman answered.

“Um, what are Rems?” Falen asked.

“They are our currency,” Edmund told him and morphed a swirl of fog in his hand.

Edmund created fifteen Rems and gave the swirls to the salesman who caught them and then they disappeared in his hand.

While he was paying for the sword, I looked around the other tables of magic items and laid my eyes on the most beautiful staff. It was black but had an ice bulb swirl on the top which glowed a mesmerizing deep, blue glow. I could feel the power pulsing out of it and I automatically raised my hand. Suddenly the staff flew into my hand and I started chanting something I didn’t even know. My vision went blurry and I blacked out for the second time in an hour. Great…new record.