3

I sat on a bench thinking. What would I do if I couldn't protect my friends? What if I wasn't strong enough? What if we never got out? My hair was whipped my face leaving light red marks on my face, although the town's being a safe space no damage was dealt.

"Here." I looked up to see Kirito offering me a rubber circle. "It will only last so long before it snaps if you don't use it."

I used the rubber band to pull my hair back. "I thought you didn't like me."

"I never said that." He crossed his arms. "Never thought you'd be a girl though. I didn't recognize you at first."

"Just because I'm a fucking girl huh." I crossed my arms. "Thats hardly fair. Girls tend to be rather good players in my experience."

"Yeah, yeah. I know." Kirito took out some rolls. "Don't tell anyone but I'm actually quite impressed with how well you've done. What's your leval?"

"44. Honestly I'm disappointed yours isn't higher."

"I'm at level 47."

"And yet..." I opened my inventory to take out my food as my vision glitched out to color splatches. I waited for the visual to clear, my finger poised to push the button once I could see it again.

"Hum? Something wrong?"

My vision didn't go back to normal. "As much as I hate to ask you this, how far down are the sticky buns in my storage?"

Kirito looked over my shoulder. "What language is that?"

I sighed. "I forgot you're from Japan. I suppose you probably don't know English." I pushed the glowing blue blob to the left of the menu. "Nervegear, read on."

The cold male voice of my headgear sounded out. "Selected, Inventory. Selected, foods. Category foods. Grape Jelly. Sticky buns. Frog leg stew..." It continued.

I clicked on the second box. "You have selected Sticky buns. Is this correct?"

"Yes." I put out my hand and the sticky buns appeared as blobs in my hands. I took a bite and my vision went back to normal. I sighed. "I wish it would stop doing that..."

"What just happened?" Kirito asked.

"Just a daily occurrence curtsy of my Nervegear and physical brain's disconnect." I rolled my eyes.

"What?"

"In real life I have a problem with my brain that sometimes messes with my Nervegear. The sights don't line up so my vision moduals will glitch." I ate the rest of my bun just as the rubber band Kirito had given me snapped against my head, causing my hair to whip my face again. So much for use it. "Why the hell did you want to talk to me anyway?"

"Oh right. Go join the front lines."

"Well there it is." I laughed lightly. "Little foward for you isn't it, Kirito? You know I'm a solo." No I'm not but he doesn't need to know that.

"I know. So am I. They need help on the front lines. I won't join but you were wanting to get stronger for others. To help them survive. Here's your chance."

"No." I pulled my cloak of moonlight tighter around me and fasoned it in the brisk air. "Not like they'd want a beater like me anyway..."

"Lillyin!" Amy yelled as she ran down the path towards us. "I found her, Drako!"

I smiled. "No Kirito. I want to get stronger for them, not for others. I suppose that means I lied to you. I'm no solo anymore. They're not strong enough for the shit filled Hell hole that is the front lines, so neither am I. Good bye, Kirito." I stood and started toward Amy, waving. "Didn't know I was lost!" I peeked back as I reached Amy just in time to see Kirito disappear.

"What were you doing out here?"

"Just thinking." I shrugged.

"What about?" Drako joined us on the path.

The wind whipped my face again. I took out my sword, wondering if this would work. I gathered my hair in one hand and raised my sword over my hair. "Cutting it." I sliced my sword through my hair, cutting it short. I allowed the cut hair to fall to the ground, expecting it to break into code behind me.

"OH MY GODS! LILLYIN, WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST DO?!" Amy's jaw dropped.

I sheathed my sword. "Amy. I'm not the same as in the physical world. Don't refer to me as Lillyin anymore. As far as anyone outside this group cares, I'm not even a woman." I started towards the inn. "Bed time. We're getting up early."