8 last chapter

"Where am I?" I sat up in the darkness. "Am I dead?"

"Lillyin." Amy's voice.

"I'm sorry. I guess you ended up dying too. I failed."

Drako's laugh. "Dummy..."

"Drako?" I felt his fingers slip into mine. "I'm sorry. I swore I'd save you... get you back to the real world. But I... I couldn't... Where are we, anyway?"

Amy's arms wrapped around me. "We're home. Lillyin you were right. We survived! You didn't fail! We're back in the real world!"

"We're home..." I reached up to my head.

I stopped when the cold automated male voice of my Nervegear sounded out in the room. "Nervegear disconnected. Connection lost. Please reconnect or remove helmet."

I reached up and took off the helmet. "We're alive..." I smiled. "We're alive!" I wrapped my arms around my friends. "We're fucking alive! He beat that shitty game!"

TIME SKIP: A FEW MONTHS LATER

"Hey guys." I sat on my bed, a bit depressed. I had been since we'd left SAO... and I lost my sight once more. "How have you been?" Drako and Amy sat to each side of me. Amy's family had taken me in when it was learned that my family had died in a crash the years I was in the game, piling on even more depression.

"We were wondering if this would cheer you up." Amy shoved something smooth, square, and plastic into my hands.

"Yes let me just open up the menu and read the object name..." I laughed lightly. "Come on guys! I don't know what's in my hand."

"Part one of a two part birthday gift." Drako nudged my side. "It's called Alfhiem Online."

"A game?" I traced my finger around the edge of the case.

"Yeah." Drako laughed and set something on my head. "And the console."

"It's an Amosphere." Amy pushed a button on it. "More expensive and safe."

It was lighter than the Nervegear. I tried it on. It was more comfortable and smaller too.

"Now say it!" Amy sounded excited.

"Say what?" I handed off the game to one of them.

"We set it up for you." Drako laid a hand on my shoulder. "No glitching anymore either."

I smiled. Now I knew what they wanted me to say. "Link Start!"

A female voice sounded out. It wasn't as cold as the male one but was still emotionless. "Welcome to Alfhiem Online. Please select your gender and input your name."

I could see again. Crystal clear, like the real sight I'd had when I was little. I smiled and selected male before typing in 'Dragon Boy'. "I'm back."