Chapter 2

Chapter 2. |||  

I am not exactly positive how long I've been in bed. Six..Seven days? My body and my mind have both lost track of time. Every once in a while my phone will buzz and my friends will want to hang out. Each time I tell them I'm "too sick" to do it and maybe another time. I'm far too ashamed to even let them know what Hank did to me.  

And I can't let that happen ever again.  

I thought I loved him. 

No. 

I thought he loved me.  

And the fact that he raised his arm and touched me that way...  

Chill bumps rise up on my arms and I try to forget about it. My parents always told me that if a guy hurts you, run. Never go back either. If he hurts you once, he will do it again.  

It kind of sucks when your parents think your boyfriend is such an angel when he's really not. 

I want to tell them. I really do. But the fact that Hank has been in our lives for a good three years, not to mention my parents have basically adopted him as their own, I have decided to keep from them what happened. But one thing for sure, I was so done with him.  

As if on cue, my iPhone's familiar buzzing sound is filling my ears once again. I sigh and snatch it off of my bedside table. It's him. I don't need to hear his sob story right now.  

"Hello?" I say with a tint of annoyance in my voice. "Hey baby." He whispers seductively. Wow. As if nothing's even happened.  

"Excuse me? I don't think so. Don't you dare call me that." I spat at him.  

"Beccccaaaa..." He whines. "What's wrong?" I can tell he is probably putting on some lame ass pouty face.  

"You know what's wrong, Hank. You hit me. And nearly took advantage of me for goodness sake!" I can tell his breathing is getting heavier on the other end, but I continue. "I swear if you come near me ever again, I will call the police." His sinister laugh fills the air. I'm not sure what made me threaten him with the police, but I soon regret it knowing that I probably won't ever do that. "What makes you think they'll believe you, babe,? You're pathetic."  

I want to cry. This was not the Hank I have come to know and love. But I tough it up because this was not a time for forgiving. "It's worth a try." I say to him. I decide to make it as plain and simple as I can. "Please, just stop calling and texting. I don't need you around me anymore." I say to him on the verge of tears. I never thought I'd ever be saying that to him, but the way he acted... I was scared. He was abusive, and he was definitely dangerous.

He says nothing and I hear the line click. Just like that, he's gone. It's over. 

I wipe the tears from my eyes, tasting a bit of saltiness on the tip of my tongue.  

I finally make the dreadful decision to get out of bed. I nearly drag myself into the bathroom and examine the face in the mirror. Oh gosh. I look horrendous. I hadn't washed my face for days, and my hair was so oily that it looked as if I had just walked out of the shower. My eye makeup ran down my cheeks and my breath probably smelled like rotten eggs. Or worse. 

I needed to get out. I'm not sure who I was anymore. I can't just let a guy run over me or my life.

I stop my train of thought for a second and think about the strange curly haired boy in my cab a few nights ago. How he was so concerned when he spoke to me; he told me I didn't deserve that kind of behavior. I didn't even have to know him, but he inspired me. He inspired me just now to go out and have a good time; to not let that happen ever again.

Because I was undeserѵing of it.

I run back into my room and snatch my phone from the bedside table. I anxiously dial my best friend's number.  

"Chelsea? Hey." I spoke to her.  

"Well someone's decided to come out of their shell!" She laughs. "What's up?"

"I need to go out." I breathed. "I'm so sick of staying inside."  

"Well, is this an invitation or what?!" She says excitedly. I love how enthusiastic she always is when I ask her to do something. "Yes! What are you up for tonight?" I question her. "Well, " she says, "Let's get the girls together first. How about dinner, and then we can go dancing maybe? I heard there's this really amazing club downtown. It's new, but totally classy."  

"I'm so in." I tell her. "So around 7 ish?" She asks.  

"Sounds good. See you then."  

I turn the shower on, craving the hot water against my skin. I didn't have anything to worry about. My bruises were quickly fading, and I had all of my friends to help me get my mind of off Hank.  

It is so unlike me to go out and do this, but for some reason I wanted to. I had an urging feeling that I just needed to.

And I silently give all my thanks to that mysterious curly haired boy.