Life As Is

"Alex, get your ass down here!" Kara screamed. Alex groaned and rolled out of bed. She groggily walked down the stairs and to her friend who was sitting in the living room. After college, they bought a small ranch house in downtown L.A.. Kara had a job as a tattoo artist, and a really good one too, everyone who knew tattoos knew about Kara. She also gave Alex a few new ones; a small snake on her calf, one on her side that said Love her while she's here the song Andy wrote for her, then one on her wrist that said Outlaw, Andy's band's name. They all had a meaning to her. Alex worked at a costume shop. She loved it there and made a fair amount of money.

"What do you want, Kara?" Alex moaned.

"Get ready, we're going out."

"Why?"

"Don't question it and just do it." Alex rolled her eyes then got up. She took a hot shower, applied makeup and picked out an outfit. Black shorts and a white muscle top, along with her black Converse. Alex made sure her nose ring was good then walked downstairs.

"What are we doing?" Alex asked Kara.

"Casino?"

"Nope."

"Club?"

"Not feeling it." Alex shook her head.

"Bar?"

"Ding, ding, ding." Kara smirked and grabbed her leather vest, then tossed Alex her leather jacket.

"Then let's go."Kara said, raising an eyebrow. They both smirked and walked out. The girls were twenty but knew a bar that would give them anything. The two arrived and walked in. It was pretty full, makes sense because it's a 7:00 pm on a Friday night. Alex just ordered a beer while Kara went out with some type of mix, it was mostly just vodka. The girls smiled and talked. Kara eventually left her for a boy who had been eyeing her sense they walked in.

"Get me another?" Alex asked the bartender.

"Alex, look, you're a pretty girl but you come in here and waist your pretty face," the middle aged lady continued, "find a boy, love him. Do something with your life, honey."

"I did love a boy, I still do and he's coming back." She sighed. Alex had said that for years. Hope slowly drained out of her. The woman got her the beer and smiled softly. Alex took it and took a sip.

"Honey, forget about that boy. Maybe you can find someone? Maybe for just tonight even, just someone to get you back on your feet."

"I don't know, Linda. Who would that even be?"

"How about him?" Linda pointed over Alex's shoulder and smiled. Alex turned her barstool around, then almost fell out of it.

"Andy." His name whispered off her lips and she stared at Andy, who had just walked through the door, not taking notice of Alex's presence.