Chapter 2: Done

We arrived a few hours later at a bigger town. We go there maybe once in three months because here we have internet to gain support for our projects. It would be more convenient if we could come here more often, but the journey was quite expensive and money was running out. We parked the Jeep and walked inside the massive white building. At the front desk, we were given a piece of paper with a code on it, which we had to use as our pass to internet. We had an hour to talk to sponsors and then we had to go back home again.

After 40 minutes I was already done talking to my sponsors so with the remaining time, I decided to Skype my mom. The connection was bad but I haven't talked to her in more than 6 months. Luckily, she answered.

"O my god Lily! How have you been? Why didn't you call sooner!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't have the time. But I'm good, just finished talking to sponsors so I got some time left. How about you? How are you doing?"

"I'm fine thanks, and I am going to deliver you the best news ever okay, ready for it?"

"Yes mom, what is it?" I said laughing.

"Some friends and I wanted to sponsor you as well, so we all put some money together and here is even better news, more and more people started to know about the project and wanted to help too. Thomas also helped by going to that annual famous people show, I don't recall what it's called, but he also invested a lot. So I present to you, a cheque of $50.000 " she said and showed the cheque.

"Mom! You really should not have done that! O my god, thank you so much"

"You haven't heard the best news yet. Thomas and I will be visiting in the summer to hand you the cheque and help with the project for some time"

"Omg mom! I can't wait to see you and Thomas! Oh that is going to be so much fun! You will meet Jelani and all the other citizens and we can go on a safari and ride elephants. This is going to be the best summer ever!"

"Awh honey, I'm glad you're excited. But I got to go now, I'm going on a date. Love you, byeee!" She said and ended the call.

She sure has a way to end things. Jelani was also finished and stared at me.

"Is there something on my face?"

"No, just why are you so happy? How much will they donate?"

"My family and some friends gathered money and received $50.000!" I said almost shouting.

"O my that is amazing Lily! Good job!"

"Thank you! Plus my mom and Thomas will be visiting in the summer and helping as well. How much did you get?"

"Nothing" he said sadly.

"Oh well don't worry, we still got some money left, we just got to minimise the budget for now. We'll figure it out, we always do" I said and hugged him. If it wasn't for this generous donation of my family, I would have lost hope as well.

-------

"Thank you all so much for coming to our show, we love you Paris!" Gilinsky said in the mic. It was barely hearable because all the fans were screaming and chanting our names. It was intense tonight, the French sure know how to turn up at a concert.

We walked off the stage and heard them still screaming and how they all wanted another song, unfortunately we couldn't do that.

"Tonight was hype man" I said to Gilinsky.

"Yeah, crazy night"

We both sat down on the couch and he immediately got his phone and started talking to Madison I guess. Don't get me wrong, the girl is nice but man he is whipped.

I tried to make a bit of conversation but he either didn't reply or with a plain 'yeah' or 'nah'. This guy is my best friend but he and Madison are pretty serious right now and he treats me like a stranger. I just had to find someone for me, like Madison for Jack. But the only one who ever meant that much to me was Lily, and she is in Africa, maybe never coming back.

It has been a while since I thought about her because I did exactly like she told me. Maybe her mom or Thomas knows if she wants to talk to me. I guess I just have to go over some time.

-------

"Alright just sign here... And here... And here." The divorce official said and turned the paper.

"Your turn"

"Lily, we both don't want this. Please, just give me another chance"

"No" I said sternly. I can't give in now.

"Just think about all the good times we had, the amazing memories we made. Think about our daughter, would she ever understand?"

"I have thought about it and this is the best, for both of us" I said in a monotone voice. I had to be strong. I can't break. Keep it together Lily.

"No she won't. She will wonder where her dad is, she isn't stupid"

"She is used to you being away all the time. So yes, she will understand. Can we continue signing please?"

"No. I refuse to sign"

"Let's just postphone this to another date, give it a few weeks, then you two come back and the papers will be signed"

"Not by me" he said and walked out of the office.

"It must be really hard for you" the divorce official said.

"Really? You don't say so!" I was emotionally and physically drained from fighting all the time. I just couldn't do it anymore.

I guess that is what he realized a few weeks later. We were both fed up with eachother and we were done with the useless fights. And as much as we wanted to make it work, we just couldn't do it. This time, there is no chance of getting back together.