Chapter 3

"What was that thing?" Nina wondered as she walked the streets after school was finished. She remembered that she couldn't really see what it was until she bit her teeth into it then after that it was so clear that she realized how horrifying it really was. She distinctively remembered it had a white mask almost like a fish skull and it ruined sushi for her for life.

"Do you think it was a..." She remembered Orihime asking this to Ichigo and he responded with a 'yeah'. She wondered if they knew what had attacked her then. What scared her most about it is that it ate a woman so it obviously was dangerous. The pedestrian light flashed signalling for Nina to cross the cross walk then she went in to a convenience store/diner as a part of her usual routine. She walked up to the register to place her order and waited for a certain friend of hers to come out.

"Oh, Nina. What a pleasant surprise." A dark haired boy rose from below the counters and spoke in a kind voice. He had raven hair tied back into a low ponytail as he worked and had a very delicate vibe to him as he shyly smiled there. Nina smiled back relieved.

"Hey Hanataro." She acknowledged.

"How was your first day of school today?"

"It was hard but I met some nice people."

"What can I get for you?" Hanataro asked readying his hands by the register.

"I'll have the usual." She smiled with her tongue out.

"Alright. One strawberry milkshake coming up. I'm going on my break after so I'll come join you at a table."

"Okay." Nina said walking over to the table that she usually sits at. It didn't take very long before Hanataro came out with a large strawberry milkshake and he placed it on the table in front of Nina then he hung his apron over the seat that he sat at. Nina took a single sip of her milkshake and closed her eyes with satisfaction. "Mm, you really know how to make a milkshake Hanataro." She said relaxing from the drink. He laughed.

"It's the extra strawberries I put in there for you. We're not supposed to put more than a half cup strawberries in one blender but I always do a little more for you." He smiled. Nina smiled back before looking into her cup and mixing the whipping cream into the shake while resting her head on her hand. Hanataro could easily tell that something was on her mind from the beginning but he brought himself to speak up.

"Is something the matter? D-Did I not put enough whipping cream on it?" He asked trying to help her feel better.

"No it's fine, it's just that I got hurt again." Nina said quietly even though there was no one in the store but them.

"You gotta stop doing that!" Hanataro spoke up a little.

"Hm?"

"It's not good to hurt yourself and I get worried sometimes wondering if you're alright. I won't always be there to help you Nina. You should try to be more careful." Hanataro spoke really worried

"It's not like I can help it. This time I was attacked by a monster."

"Uh, monster?"

"Yeah, it had a furry body and a white mask. I couldn't see it at first and then I bit it to try to get away then I seen it so clearly that it ruined sushi for me from its large fish head thingy."

"Oh." Hanataro went silent.

"Oh? Do you know what it was that attacked me?"

"Uh..."

"Please you gotta tell me. I heard someone say that they think that they knew what it was but I couldn't figure out what it was. I really want to know." Nina said slightly standing up getting all worked up.

"I'm sorry. I can't help you there." He half whispered. Nina sat back down in her chair after a moment of silence. "I wish I could help you but I just can't."

"Oh, that's okay. I know if you did know that you would tell me." Nina said and Hanataro laughed nervously while scratching the back of his head.

"Y-yeah, that's for sure." He answered watching Nina gulp down her shake.

"Hanataro?" Nina quietly said.

"What is it?"

"Why don't you come to school with me?" Nina asked sadly looking in his eyes.

"I have to work. I would go to school with you but unfortunately I have a lot of hours here during the day so the only time I really get off is a couple hours after your school ends and by then, it's too late. Are you really having a difficult time there?" Hanataro said beginning to get all worked up from worrying about Nina. She gulped down the rest of her shake then pushed it aside. She gave an unconvincing smile.

"I just don't feel like I belong there."

"Why would you say that?"

"I don't know. Maybe I just haven't given it enough time. Don't worry about me. I'll manage." Nina said getting up. Hanataro grabbed the empty cup then got up as well.

"I gotta get back to work. Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to your next visit." Hanataro bowed then went to the back. Nina placed her payment plus a tip on the table then she left. Hanataro came back to wipe down the table but stopped and smiled while looking at Nina's generous tip.

Nina smiled while hurrying home. She liked to be with Hanataro. Something about him made her relax and feel like her worries weren't a problem. Nina recollected when she first moved to Karakura town near the beginning of summer she was dying to run out of her house because she hated it so much and she just so happened to go into that shop and met him working there. The very thing that she ordered was a strawberry milkshake and she has forever been hooked on it. Since then she had been going back every Friday maybe even another time in the week to have a shake and Hanataro had been there most of the time and she had developed a strong friendship with him during the months of summer break, now she liked to leave him big tips, bigger than most anyone would pay. The average person leaves approximately 10-15% on tip if they liked their server but Nina always gave 30%+ depending on how much change she had in her pocket. Hanataro even paid for Nina's beverage every now and then because he appreciated her company so much.