♥ Chapter 4 ♥

The rest of the day sped by. We only had 1 lesson left which was Art, my favourite class. I love the fact you can drift off into you own world. It's my favourite way of expressing my feelings, since I no longer use words. The hour long class flew by as my paintbrush danced over the canvas in front of me.

The sound of the final school bell shocked me out of my trance. I washed my hands, gathered my things and headed for the door. Just as I was leaving Luke caught up with me.

"Hey, you're really good at painting!" He grinned. I shrugged a reply, hoping he would notice that my smile was appreciative. I think he did.

"Did you want a ride home? I'm sure Ashton wouldn't mind you coming in his car with us." Luke asked.

I shook my head. I hate being any trouble, and I hate the idea that they would be going out of their way for me. I don't want any fuss.

"You sure? You won't be any trouble. Ashton drops 3 of us home already so he really won't mind."

I thought for a moment. Well, Ashton doesn't seem like the sort of person who would complain about extra passengers so I supposed it wouldn't hurt. Plus they all seemed like such nice people so it'd be nice to spend even a little more time with them.

I finally nodded.

"Awesome," He said sweetly, and I followed him outside into the parking lot. We spotted Ashton in his car with Sam already in the passenger seat. Luke opened the back door for me and I scooted into the middle seat. To my right Calum was already sat down staring out the window. He smiled and said "Hello," politely.

"Hey!" Ashton said happily. Sam just waved, she looked tired. "Where are you going? Can you write it down?" Ashton asked.

I took out your notepad and a pen and quickly wrote down my home address before tearing off the sheet of paper and handing it to him, smiling gratefully. Ashton read it. "That's pretty close to Luke's house, no trouble," He said as Luke climbed in next to you. I felt reassured that I wasn't in the way. Soon the car was moving and we were off.

It was a little awkward sitting in the middle. If I were to look out of any of the windows to the side either Calum or Luke would've thought I was staring at them, I didn't want to seem creepy. I'm a little too self conscious like that. I settled on staring between the two front seats at the road ahead.

I felt a tapping at my left shoulder. I looked over at Luke who had his phone out. "Could we switch numbers? That way if you have any trouble at school or anything you can just text me." He seemed a bit nervous.

I nodded and pulled out my own phone, handing it to him to type in his number. He gave me his and I did the same.

First Calum was dropped off, then Luke. Then we reached my house, and I hopped out of the car. Ashton winded his window down and leaned out.

"I can pick you up tomorrow morning if you like?" I nodded, an mouthed 'Thank you' in reply.

"No problem," He said. "See you tomorrow!" Ashton then wound the window back up and drove away. I watched him go, and once he was out of sight I turned towards my house.

It's grey and dull, mirroring the mood that is normally inside. I walked up to the door and unlocked it.

Inside is always immaculately clean. The grey tiled floor was shining and many a time I have slipped and fallen on it. I mumbled a hello to my Mum who was frantically wiping down the kitchen counter with disinfectant as if she was on a deadline. But there's never a deadline. In about half an hour she'd do it again.

She didn't acknowledge me.

I walked past the door to the office. I could hear my Dad in there yelling down the phone. It sounded like something's wrong at the reactor again. I decided not to let him know I'm home, he'd only have been annoyed at me. As per usual.