Under Attack

Sven Advenka

"Get up man! A whole pod of Evos are moving in south of our position! Captain says we need to fall back to HQ and regroup!" I was jerked from my sleep as my friend, Khalos, shook my body.

"At least let me wake up completely- Wait... WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" My vocal chords went full drive as my friend started changing... IN MY OWN FREAKIN' TENT!

"Im changing! Isn't obvious?! I put my tent down already! Why, you want Thela to be the one changing in front of you, don't you?!" He shouted back at me.

CRAP. 'Did everyone in my whole division know I have a crush on her already?!' I mentally screamed.

"W-what are y-you t-t-talking about?!" I stuttered so much with my sentence that I think I almost made khalos wonder if it was winter.

"Oh c'mon dude, everyone knows you confessed to her last week" He said .

"So what? She rejected me." I said, flinching a bit as I remembered what happened.

"Ha, as I thought... Don't worry though, there are many fish in the sea." He cheekily smirked while looking at me mischievously.

"Shut up, you look like a racoon that was shocked to death." I said smacking him in the head " and bring your clothes with you when you leave." I added.

"Fine... I'm getting out. Have a nice day Romeo..." 

He said slyly before leaving my tent and started singing "sven and thela, sitting on the tree K-I-S..."

I smiled foolishly to myself as he left. I was really proud I had a friend like that. But I never even anticipated that it would be a very long time before we meet again.

The next thing that happened was never ever expected by our higher ups. A scream was heard at the southern part of the camp.

That event caught the attention of all the living things in the camp. Heck, I think even the cockroach I planted in the bag of Khalos heard that shrill scream.

Next thing I knew I was thrown to the other side of my tent as a very strong wind blew throughout the camp.

"THE EVO! THEY'RE HERE!" Someone shouted as several more screams were heard. "What?! They'e here already?!" "No! I haven't set down my tent yet!" "CRAP! Head to the woods people!" "My pet mice! Has anyone seen them?!" That and many more other choruses of statements from various tents were heard.

'Oh no! What should I bring with me?! Why are my mornings always like this?! The evo just had to attack when i'm still half-naked!' My thoughts whizzed through my head like the biggest maelstrom that ever existed while I tried to fit my boxers properly.

'Okay, I should plan my course of action. Relax.... In... Out... In.. Ou-' My thoughts were interrupted by a weird sound from the north.

I went outside in a hurry with my decided items: My battle outfit, a backpack full to the brim of supplies and a bottle of water.

The whole camp was in total chaos when I went out. People were shouting, screaming, shoving, pushing, panicking, and running around.

"Class A evos are moving in from the north too! They're wiping out our vanguard units!" A soldier reported to our commanding officer, Reka.

"Second unit, Move in as reinforcements! The rest get your damn buttholes out of this goddamn camp!" Our sassy commanding officer gave out orders with her 'creative use of adjectives'.

"Sir, what in the world is happening?!" I shouted amidst the chaos to Reka, who also happened to be my cousin.

"Class A evos are here from both sides!" She shouted in response.

"WHAT?! We're just in a scouting trip in the outskirts of their territory! What would they be bothering to do here?!" I responded to her.

"That's what we don't know! But you've got to get out of here with the others!" She shouted. "What about the platoons in the southside and northside of the camp?!" I asked/screamed.

"There's nothing we can do for them... We need to save as much people as we can!" She said even with the clear guilt in her eyes. She was having a lot of guilt because the love of her life was in the southern part of camp, fighting in the vanguard unit.

"So, are you going to fight here or evacuate?" I asked my cousin.

"Im going to the southern part of camp and help hold the line for you guys." She said.

"Okay, but what about your men?" I asked gesturing to the 20 people of the platoon she was supposed to be commanding.

"You're taking command of my platoon. After all, you're supposed to be promoted to captain tomorrow." She said nodding to her platoon to confirm their agreement.

"Now go, before the evo come here and cut you down" she said while shoving me encouragingly to my platoon.

She was forcing herself not to cry because she knew what will happen to her and and her fiance after this day ends.

As I walked away with my platoon, she shouted "And keep my platoon alive will ya'? After all, you're all still recruits! You have a long life still ahead! Promise me that at least!"

"Okay! Try to survive Reka! Don't leave this life without paying for that pizza you owe me!" I shouted back.

"Fine, you sly son of a gun!" I heard what may be her last statement.

I gathered my men and oriented them on what was happening. "Okay, we need to get out of here and evacuate! The camp is being flanked from the north and south! I'll take point! We're heading to the forest in the west of our camp and take shelter there." I commanded as I looked all of them in the eyes to make sure they understood.

"Okay! LET'S GET MOVIN' PEOPLE!"