Chapter Five

(Tuesday Night...5 days until the Championship)

"Hi, I'm Taylor. Nice to meet you!" I greeted, shaking hands with yet another Blackhawks representative.

"Oh, so you're the much-talked-about girlfriend of this guy, I see," the cheery representative responds goodheartedly, patting Patrick on the back.

"Oh, um, I, uh , sort of, I guess," I stuttered, a rush of warmth spreading to my cheeks before I dropped my gaze to my feet.

This was not exactly what I imagined when Patrick asked me to come to the game with him. I envisioned the two of us sitting next to each other alone and simply watching the game, while he shared a few insights or got a little too excited when one of his teammates scored. Instead, this night consisted of Patrick engrossed in conversation with a group of representatives, and the occasional reporter, updating them on his injury, while I stood there awkwardly trying to catch a few glimpses of the game. Although this was not what I had in mind, I guess I could cope with it if it meant I was able to see those eyes crinkle as he smiled just a few more times.

Excusing myself from the conversation just as the third period started, I sat down in one of the padded chairs on the end and focused on watching the remainder of the game. The Hawks were currently down 3-2 against the Kings, but they still have an opportunity to capitalize on the rest of the power play that carried over from the second period.

Interrupting my attempt at focusing on the game, a laughing Patrick sat down next to me. He causally slid his arm around my shoulder, and I leaned into him. "So this is not an ideal first date," he sighed, his gaze shifting from the developing play on the ice to me. "Did I screw it up?"

"No, you didn't screw it up," I laughed, finally giving him my undivided attention after a Hawks player shot wide. "I mean it's not what I pictured it to be, but I did get a free game out of it so I'm not complaining."

"Oh, really? A free game? That's the real reason you came with me, isn't it?" he teased me, nudging my shoulder with that constant twinkle in his eyes.

"Oh yes, most definitely," I said in between laughs. "You sure caught me."

Looking into his baby blue eyes, I knew I was a goner. Just as he slowly started to lean in, we were interrupted by the goal horn and the sound of 20,000+ fans erupting out of their seats and screaming wildly. Turning back to the game, I noticed #2, Duncan Keith, being swarmed by his teammates on the ice. Seeing him lead the charge back to the bench, I'm guessing he must have scored, tying the game at three with less than ten minutes left. Bracing my hand on the chair in front of me, I slowly stood up on my good leg and joined the fans in celebrating the goal.

The game ended with the Hawks winning after a shootout. Toews scored the lone goal and Crawford shut down all three shooters he faced. Once again, I stood up and joined the rest singing Chelsea Dagger as the team saluted its loyal fans.

"You get really into this, don't you?" Patrick noted, laughing over the craziness of the fans.

I began to blush slightly as I yelled back, "My dad used to take me all the time when I was little. It comes naturally I guess."

The United Center turned dark as the three stars of the game were announced. I looked over at Patrick and right up into those baby blues. "I believe we got interrupted before," Patrick said. "Oh, really?" I laughed. Then suddenly, Patrick leaned in and touched his lips lightly to mine. In this moment, absolutely nothing else mattered. I wasn't stressing about the championship. I wasn't worrying about Joe finding me. It's as if we were the only two people left in the UC.