Chapter XIX : One Deathly Quiet

Throw me to the flames

Watch me burn!

Set my world ablaze

Watch me burn!

"Good Lord..."

"They're everywhere," Ciel said, in a very quiet voice. "I know. Sit back down, Celeste. We've got to think."

"Violet is out there," I mumbled. "Violet is outside."

Not now. Not now. We had to get him back to Grace. That was all I knew – she was sitting by herself in some city mansion miles away, staring at a wall and anxious for us to get back. If we didn't get back, and Violet didn't' get back, she had no one.

She truly had no one. I couldn't leave her like that.

"He has the best chance out of all of us of surviving this," he replied evenly, reaching up and undoing his eyepatch. Pushing back the hair which covered his eye, he exposed a glowing purple sphere in place of the socket, burning through the gloom of the carriage. Ciel passed his hand over the seal, closing his other eye and breathing in.

"Sebastian," he murmured. "We need you here, immediately. That is an order."

"We're all going to die, aren't we?"

"Our chances aren't overly prosperous, this is true."

"Phantomhive, they're starting to move towards us."

Violet spoke from the top of the carriage. If we looked out, we could see his fingers, polished with black, curling on the roof; but we could also see the bizarre looking creatures, and I didn't want that at all.

"Come out, my young Lord." A voice addressed us. It had a kind of cockney twang to it, and was obviously male, which meant the Undertaker. "And your beautiful companion."

Ciel reached for the handle, opening the door and stepping outside. I grabbed for his jacket.

"Don't leave, Ciel, please."

"Stay inside," he replied, ankle deep in overgrown weeds and grass. Once he walked away, towards the voice, I couldn't see him anymore. So I just sat there, heart beating too fast, the metallic taste of fear in my mouth.

After a moment, Undertaker – at least, who I was assuming was he – spoke again.

"I said I wanted the girl."

Hands were at the window, at that moment, and I screamed – I couldn't help myself, it was terrifying. Nails caked with drying blood, decaying strips of skin which peeled away from knuckles, these women obviously hadn't been as well kept as Charlotte, left to their own devices. Maybe they were insane, like Grace had been. Either way, they struck fear into my chest, and I scrambled, up onto the seat.

"Celeste!" Violet shouted, from the roof. He appeared to be struggling, also. "Don't be frightened, Celeste, he won't let them hurt you."

"That's right, my dear. Gregory is not as stupid as he looks, is he?" The words cut, a cruel tone edging his voice. "Take him down, lovelies. We won't be needing him for very long."

The dead girls stopped and stared at me. I didn't really know what to do, so I just swallowed, and held out my hand to one of them, a girl with soft blonde ringlets. She took my fingers, and guided me gently out of the carriage.

"Adrian," Charlotte was murmuring, one hand grasping onto his fingers. "Don't harm the girl, please. She hasn't done anything."

"You're too kind for your own good, my love." Undertaker pressed a kiss to her forehead, scarred lips twitching in a smile. "She is a witness."