Chapter 3: Part 1

Follow your heart--but take your brain with you.

"Relative?" Keisha asked ludicrously as we entered the Hotel-like apartment. "We don't have any relatives here." She continued.

"Not one of my relatives." Ma replies, sounding a bit annoyed.

"Looks like little miss perfect is getting on even Ma's nerves." Scar snickers. I bite back my smile and shrug my shoulders.

"Who would've thought the day would come?" I ask putting on a shocked face.

Keisha shoots us both a look and turns back to Ma. "So this person..must be related to daddy!" She squeals and jumps up and down.

"But not your dad." Ma whispers.

"Then who's dad? I mean everyone here is-" Keisha suddenly stops talking. Her eyes narrow and I can almost see the light bulb appear over her head as she jumps up and claps her hand over her mouth.

"Her dad?"

Immediately everyone except Ma looks over at me. Ma goes over to the counter and smiles over at the Man behind it. "Could you please call Ms. Taylor and tell her the Walker family is here to see her."

"Yes ma'am." The man smiles and turns around to reach for the telephone.

"So, we're here to see one of her relatives?" Keisha asks, jutting out her hip. 

Ma sends a swift glare her way, and motions for us to move away from the counter. Once we are far enough away that the man can't hear us, Ma turns around and stares at me for awhile before focusing her gaze on Keisha. "We are here to see Nicole Taylor, who is her..aunt." Ma explains quietly pointing an accusing finger at me.

Everyone turns to look at me, but I'm too confused to even care. "I don't have any relatives from dad's side." I say slowly. What does she mean?  Dad didn't have any siblings or cousins that we knew of-or that she told me of. 

I narrow my eyes slightly. It wouldn't be the first time she had lied about something.

"Miss?"

We all turn around to see the man holding a ring of keys in one hand. "Ms. Taylor will see you now."

So sorry this chapter was short. I wanted to add this tidbit in before you all meet the famous Nicole Taylor and her family. 

Disney quote of the day. "Well, there's one thing..they can't order me to stop dreaming." -Cinderella.