best friends and just friends

~Johnny~

I roll over and stare up at the ceiling of my hotel room. I had planned on texting Kasey last night when we arrived in Boston, but it was so late and I was so tired, I fell asleep within minutes of
my head hitting the pillow.

I glance at the clock, which reads 8:12, then look over at the other bed to see Sean still sound asleep, snoring softly. I decide not to wake him up, since our morning skate is only at 10:00 today and I know he could use the sleep. Him and his girlfriend have been arguing a lot lately and they had a heated discussion over the phone last night.

I quietly get up and put on a shirt, then grab my phone and slide on a pair of flip flops before slipping out the door. I want to call Kasey, but it's kind of early and I don't want to wake her up. I want to see her and catch up on everything before the game. I decide to text her instead.

Good morning:) I'm sorry if I wake you up. We arrived in Boston late last night, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out before the game today, just us. I'll come pick you up from your dorm.

I hit the send button. She doesn't respond right away, telling me that she's probably sleeping. I really can't wait to see her. Her long, gorgeous hair, her pretty smile, her blue eyes. Just thinking about seeing her is making my heart go crazy. Why is she making me feel this way? I snap myself out of my daze and head downstairs for some breakfast.

~Kasey~

My head is pounding when I wake up in the morning. I groan and drag myself out of bed, grabbing my phone so I can text Amanda.

You got any Tylenol? My head is killing me

I get a response right away.

I'll be in your room in 45 seconds

I start the stopwatch on my phone. This should be funny.

I stop it when it hits 45 seconds, and sure enough, Amanda bursts through my door.

"Right on time." I say, holding out my hand. She throws a bottle at me and I catch it. I open it and pop two pills into my mouth, taking a gulp of water.

"Hey Kase, guess what?" Amanda says.

"What?"

"THE GAME IS TODAY!!" She screeches at the top of her lungs, bouncing on my bed. I wince and rub my temple. How long does it take for Tylenol to work?..

Amanda stops bouncing, "Are you ok? You don't look so good."

I nod, ignoring my pounding head that's telling me otherwise, "Yeah, just tired. Maybe I'll go sleep for a bit longer." I look at my phone, "It's kind of early anyways." I see that I have a new text, so I open it and see that it's from Johnny, telling me the Flames arrived in Boston yesterday and asking if I wanted to hang out today.

"Especially for a day we have no classes." She frowns once she sees my face, 'What? Did Johnny send you a little surprise on snapchat?" She wiggles her eyebrows.

I whack her, "Shut up. There's nothing going on between us. He just asked if I wanted to hang out. And he doesn't even have snapchat."

She wiggles her eyebrows again, "Nothing, huh?" I whack her again, which makes her laugh.

"I'm going to sleep again." I tell her. She comes over and hugs me.

"I'm really happy you're better." She whispers. Amanda knows about my accident, and she's really the only friend I've had through everything. Now that I'm thinking about it, she's changed a lot over the past three years. She's matured, and learned how to be sensitive. I can't believe I haven't realized it until now. I guess I've still been shutting things out.