Chapter 1

This story is in the middle of editing! Stay tuned for more!

I took a deep breath and stepped off the crappy city bus. It would be a new start, a new city. No one to bother and nag me, no more worries, just me and an apartment and maybe a cat. I wouldn't be some helpless girl anymore, I would be my own person. Hopefully. 

I looked up at the coffee shop and the bold sign that read 'CC Jitters.' My phone told me it was the right place, but you could never really be sure. I pushed the door before realizing it was a pull. Awesome, Summer, keep on embarrassing yourself. I stepped up to the counter and waved towards the lady making the coffee.

"Hi, I'm looking for a new job. There was a flyer that said you were hiring so I thought I'd check it out," I said and the blonde woman gave me a warm smile before reaching behind a machine and pulling out a pile of paperwork.

 "Of course. Just fill this out and we'll call you later." I smiled gratefully and took a seat at one of the tables. The atmosphere was calm and collected, much like any coffeeshop would be. Soft music filled the room, and the bustle of people was loud and distracting. I shook my head, slipping in headphones and reminding myself to focus on the paper. I needed a job after all. 

It took a while to fill out everything. Checking off boxes that I hardly knew, and signing away my name. It seemed like an awfully lot of papers for just a small coffee shop, but I figured in a place like Central City it would be different. I stood up eventually, cracking my back and moving back up towards the counter. The lunch rush had died down a little, and the woman took my papers and tucked them under her arm. 

"Alright everything is set. Do you want a coffee while you're here?" She asked and I ordered a random drink off the menu before returning to the table. I put my headphones back in and pulled out my laptop. It couldn't hurt to work on a couple of stories while I was here, my aspiring writer soul flourishing in the environment. 

I don't know how long I sat there, finding myself easily lost in the work after time. After my 5th cup of coffee, I figured it was time to leave. I packed up everything, taking careful care with my laptop, and threw away my cup on the way out. As I was pulling the door open, a large mass ran into me forcefully. The man leaned back, grabbing my arm to steady me as I shook my head. I looked up at him and smiled before moving to leave. 

"Summer?" His arm was still grabbing mine and I spun around to face him. I studied him for a moment, trying to recall the mystery man. Nada. 

"Uh, I'm sorry. Do I know you?" I said and felt his eyes bore into mine. Well, that was probably not the correct question.

"Yeah, we were best friends for 5 years, how do you not remember? Summer right?" I sighed and tightened my grip on my bag. I remembered the handy pepper spray I had tucked into the pocket of my jeans. 

"I'm sorry, but I believe that you're mixing me up with someone else." I shook my head and walked out the door. I tried to remember back to my younger years but I couldn't remember anything before I turned 18. I could vividly remember the day I turned 18 but anything before that came up blank. I sighed and tried again, but nothing changed. Did I really know this stranger? I hadn't ever seen him before, but then again, I couldn't remember anything before I turned 18.

I sighed in frustration as I walked up to the door of my apartment. I stuck the key in the lock and had to jiggle the door a little before it opened. It was bare, since I literally had just moved here, but I didn't mind. I just wanted to escape everything. My friends and family all wanted to help me remember, but I was tired of going places and seeing pictures that I didn't remember being taken. I plopped down on my green couch. It was my favorite color, it calmed me. Reminded me of a tranquil forest and helped me clear out all the negative thoughts. I switched on my TV and tried to find something interesting. Instead, it was only news stations that were going on about people saved from a burning building by some Streak or whatever. I was incredibly bored so I switched on Netflix and watched Once Upon A Time. I felt my eyes slowly get heavy and I switched off the TV and stumbled to my bedroom, collapsing upon entry. I was asleep immediately.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I woke up the next day I saw that I had 3 missed calls from my mom. I groaned. I really did not want to talk to her, because our call would mostly be her fussing over me, which I did not enjoy. But I called her anyways, because she might call the police if I didn't. 

"Hi mom." I said as soon as she picked up. 

"I called you three times! Why were you not answering?" After some grumbles and apologies, she told me that everything was fine at home. I bid her goodbye and got ready. I brushed out my brown hair, hating how it was so straight. Bleh, it looked so normal. But I didn't have the money or time to dye it, so I dealt with how it looked. I pulled it into a messy bun and went to go make breakfast. But it seemed my morning would not be in peace, because as soon as I sat down to eat, the doorbell rang.

Why can't I have just a quiet, normal morning? I asked myself. I opened the door to see the same stranger I bumped into yesterday. 

"Okay, you must be some stalker or something, because first you know my name, and now you know where I live. This is getting creepy." I said, crossing my arms over my chest. I was done with this guy and I was just about ready to slam the door in his face.

"Listen, Summer, I don't know why you don't remember me, but I promise I'm not a stalker. I just, I need to know why you don't remember. Please." The desperation dripped from his voice and his eyes mirrored his tone. He looked like a sad puppy, those beautiful green eyes staring right into mine. I huffed and let him in. He sat on the couch and I stood across from him.

"A couple months ago, I got in a car crash. I don't need your sympathy, my family gave me enough to last a lifetime. But, I can't remember anything before my 18th birthday. The doctors said I probably won't ever remember, that something huge would have to happen to make me remember. So, that's why I don't know you, strange person who I don't know the name of." He gave me a sad smile.

"My name's Barry Allen," He took a deep breath before continuing, "We were best friends in middle school and high school. You and Iris got along really well. When I saw you the other day, I was shocked. You had moved away from Central in hopes of a more exotic life." He laughed at the memory and I smiled because his happiness was contagious. 

"And now that you're back, I want to make you remember." He ran his hands through his hair before looking up at me. 

"Can I take you out for some coffee?" I shrugged.

"Sure, it's not like I'm doing anything anyways." For some reason, I trusted him. I couldn't explain why, but my heart tugged when he talked to me. Something began to stir in my brain but I just shook my head, trying to clear out the weird thoughts, and changed quickly. I threw on a nice blouse and some jeans. I stepped out of my room and winked.

"Let's go, Mr. Allen."

We went to the same coffee shop that I applied to yesterday. He held open the door for me and I gave him a quick smile before going in. 

"Why don't you go get a table and I'll order some coffee?" He said, heading over to the counter. I nodded and sat down. I heard a gasp by the counter and looked up to see Barry and some girl with olive colored skin and long brown hair staring at me. I was tired of being reunited with people I didn't remember, so before the person could say anything, I ran to the bathroom. Running was the only thing I seemed to be doing lately. I ran away from Austin, Texas. I ran away from my dead brother and I ran away from my memories. At this point, I just didn't want to remember. That's what everyone wanted me to do, is remember. But I just couldn't. I ran my fingers through my hair, pulling out some knots, before throwing it back into a bun. I walked out, grabbed my stuff from the table, and left.