Chapter 35: Freya To The Rescue!

Brendan shot Kat a warning look before turning to the man. "The real question is, who are you and why do you want to shoot us?" 

The man lowered the gun and glared at them. "That's on a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know. What are you doing in here? This lab has the highest security in the building. How'd you get past the lock?"

Kat sighed. "We're--"

"Don't tell him!" Brendan cried. "You don't just tell people answers right off the bat."

"But--"

Brendan put a finger over her mouth. "No buts. Now..." He turned back to the man. "Can we at least get something to call you? Because otherwise, I'm calling you Hermione, and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to do that, do you?"

The man rolled his eyes. "You can call me Iko." He noticed what Brendan was holding and his glare got even more scorching. "How did you get that?"

Kat burrowed into his mind, trying to figure out how much this guy knew. A few seconds later, she had what she needed. "So... You really don't know what this is." She tipped her head to the side and opened her eyes slightly wider, to give her a creepy look.

Iko blinked. "How did you--" He looked slightly freaked out by her appearance.

"I read minds." Kat smirked. She looked back at him, her expression normal, and said, "So you don't know what it is?"

He glared at her and said, "No. I don't know what that thing is. All I know is that we Vipers are supposed to protect that at all costs." His voice started to get louder. "You are trespassing, and attempting to steal private property!"

"Alright, Iko. Calm down," Brendan said, much calmer than Kat. "You don't have to blow a gasket..."

Iko raised the gun at Brendan. "I don't take orders from children," he growled. 

Knowing that soon, a physical altercation could take place, Kat shifted slightly over to the counter with the intentions of grabbing a weapon of some sorts.

Before she could do anything, though, Iko's eyes rolled into the back of his head as someone kicked him in the head. Freya sighed. "They go down so easily..."

Kat grinned. "Freya!" Her smile dropped as she realized that Freya wasn't with the others. "What happened to the others?"

"They are taking care of Nani, who's gone totally ballistic," Freya said. "They told me to make sure you guys got the Monestone okay."

Brendan nodded. "Yup. It's right here." He held up the stone for Freya to see. It shimmered slightly in the fluorescent lighting of the laboratory.

She sighed with relief. "Great. Now, we need to get out of here." She turned around to a fist flying into her face. She fell to the floor, groaning and holding her face, her nose already gushing red.

In the doorway, stood Anah, his face flushed red. He glared at Kat. "You are not the real Katja."