Being Independant

"I want to be a hair model." Brianna stared at her mother, who was trying to comprehend what her daughter just said.

"But Brie, you have your father and I. There's no need for you to have a job. If you feel that you don't have enough money, you could ask your father to increase your pocket money."

"I'm fine with the £200 a week. And don't call me Brie. I'm not a four year old."

"Okay, but why a hair model? You're a very bright girl and you could aim much higher than that."

"Heh.", Brianna smirked. "How would you know how well I do at school? I don't recall you ever going to any of my parents evenings since you're so busy being famous. I - "

"Brianna Kennedy Rothschild! What's this I'm hearing about hair modelling?"

Brianna and her mother turned to where the voice was coming from. At the top of the stairs was her father, glaring down at the duo with an intimidating look in his eyes.

Brianna's mother turned to her daughter. "I'll leave you two to talk it out. I'll be in the kitchen if you need me."

Her mother quickly left the room. Brianna and her father were left in the hallway, preparing for a battle with words.

"So," Brianna started. "Are you going to hear me out?"

"Okay then, but only because you're my favourite child."

"I'm your only child. "

"Exactly."

Brianna looked blankly at her father for a while, and then carried on.

"It all started last week. One of my so-called friends said that she didn't want to hang out with me anymore, since she found me boring. She also said that the reason why she hung out with me was because I'm rich and so that she could have some connections to Mum. That event led me to realise that I am way too dependent on you and Mum. So I've decided to start earning some money by myself, without you two. And before you say that I'm too young, I'm 16 now, and I'm old enough to get a job."

Her father sighed. "Okay then. But it's a big world out there. Your mother and I have done our best to shield you from society, but I guess we can't protect you forever. But if there is anything that you need, we'll be here."

"Thank you daddy!" Brianna ran up to her father and gave him a peck on the cheek. "See you tonight!"

She took her parka from the coat hook and left the house, ready to go into the big wide world.