Chapter 5.

Claire's POV

I drive home in complete silence. Like I would any other day, however this time it was different. I felt like a different person. What has he done to me? I have never felt like this over someone. Never felt this feeling of being torn between to emotions. Anger and lust. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but nothing is stopping me and my mind is just clouded with thoughts of Owen's lips attached to mine. It takes me a minute to realise what has actually happened. What if he were to tell someone at work? What if I got fired for inappropriate work behaviour?

I reach into my briefcase and pull out my phone. I look for Owen's number in between driving and stopping at traffic lights. I hold the phone in my hand fora minute or two and the consequences keep playing around in my mind. I press the call option and part of me prays that he doesn't pick up but another part of me wishes he does. But before I realise what I am actually doing...everything goes black.

...

"She can't die. She has to live. She is so young and delicate and right now you have to do whatever you can to help her-"

"I am sorry sir but what is your relation to this woman?"

"Well... I'm... her... a work colleague." I can hear everything they are saying, but can't talk. I can see who they are, but can't open my eyes. I can feel how close they are to me, but can't touch. I can taste every cell and every drop on my tongue, yet can't eat. All I can do is mumble. Little words. Moans. Whimpers.

"Well, sir, you have to leave. If you aren't a member of the family or in a committed relationship with the patient then you must leave."

I manage to open my mouth slightly to try and speak. But god knows if they can actually hear me.

"Sir, please. I am the only person here for her. No one else is coming and she needs as much comfort as possible."

"Owen... Owen... stay... need... him to...stay..." I know later on I will regret saying those words, but I can't stop them falling out of my dry painful lips. My eyes start to feel less heavy and I can feel them flutter open but still feel my eyes closed. Everything hurts and everything feels numb at the same time.

"Claire? Claire it's me. It's Owen. I came here as soon as I heard there had been a crash. Claire... I love you. Please just don't die."

"Owen? Owen... please... help." I feel a hand latch on to mine but it still feels so numb and cold and small.

"Doctor, who is Owen? Did he come through earlier? Does she know who it is? Claire, it's me. Karen. Your sister. Karen. Gray and Zach are in the waiting room with Scott. Claire please be okay." The words shatter my heart, I don't know why. Owen wouldn't come for me. Why would I want it to be Owen. I am so mad at him. I realise that whilst being in whatever state I am in, I can still dream and or hallucinate. Which is clearly what I was doing. Owen wouldn't come to see me. What was I thinking?

"Karen? Owen. Where... What..." I stutter. All feeling in my body becomes apparent and I can feel every tear, every break and every hole in my body. I wince in pain and squeeze the hand I am holding.

"Claire, it's okay. I am here for you. Please wake up. I need you to wake up." I can hear the sobs coming from her lips and I can feel the tears dripping onto my cheeks as she hovers above my face.

My body jolts up and huge wave of air and wind hits the back of my throat. My eyes yank open and I can see everything. Light. Dark. My breathing becomes harsh and fast as my chest heaves up and down. I look to Karen who is now in hysterical fits of crying. Tears stream down her face.

"Oh my god! Claire! Claire are you alright?!" Her warm arms wrap around me, contrasting with the cold in body. I feel stronger than before, but still so weak and vulnerable. I feel the strength in my throat and attempt to speak.

"Karen? What, what happened?" My vision clears and I can see everything. Every detail in the small hospital room. Every detail on Karen's face. Ever tear stain that streaks her red face.

"You got in an accident. They say you collided with a twenty ton cargo truck. You, you were unconscious and had lost a hell of a lot of blood. They say that you hit your head and..." her sobbing just keeps pouring out as do the tears.

"And what Karen?" I ask. Strength and adrenaline now consuming my once weak body.

"And... Well... It's nothing major, you just... You needed surgery and well, they found a chunk of something that obviously punctured you and has inserted itself into your body, during the crash and... they couldn't get it out. So they are trying again in about an hour but... the odds of you surviving the surgery are extremely low." A gasp escapes my lips and my body lowers itself onto the bed.

"Oh god..." I whisper. This must be some kind of a joke. What is inside me? Glass? A brick? A gearstick? "Karen... did anyone come to visit me? Anyone from work?" I need tog et my mind off the idea that I could die today.

"No. I was the first visitor and probably the only person-" Karen is cut off by the crash of a door and the sound of panting. I look to the door and can't believe my eyes.

"Claire? What the fuck happened?"

"Owen? Why are you here?"

"So this is Owen." Karen whispers.

"I came as soon as I heard the news. What happened dammit?!" His long strong legs stride along to place him next to the bed. He kneels down so his eyes are level with mine.

"I got in an accident trying to call you..." I whisper, barely audible.

"Why were you trying to call me?"

"More importantly Owen, why are you here?" I spit.

"I came as soon as I heard you had been hit. I have driven all over trying to find the hospital you were in. You know how many hospitals there are in this area? A fucking lot." I giggle at the man kneeling beside me.

"You didn't have to Owen." I say. His hand reaches for my empty hand and squeezes it.

"Of course I did. I couldn't not come to be honest. I know what has happened and I know that everything is my fault. Fuck, if I hadn't of done what I did to you at the car park, you wouldn't have had to call me and then you wouldn't have been hit." A smile creeps onto my face again. A tear drips down my scratched cheek, stinging a little.

"Owen, why? Why did everything that happened, happen? Why did you kiss me?"

"Hold on, he kissed you?" Karen basically squeals.

"Yes, but that isn't important." Owen snaps at Karen. "I kissed you because I have wanted to since I first saw you. This is ridiculous I know. You know what Claire, I am just going to go." The smile falls.

"Why?" I squeak.

"Because, clearly you already have enough people here looking after you. You don't need me too." My heart drops. I don't know why I feel this way. I have never had this happen to me. I've never had a man make my heart drop. I have always held onto my heart and have never let a man take it.

"Stay." I say.

"What?" Owen whispers.

"I said stay. Please." He nods and places his other hand on mine, and squeezes it. I smile once again and feel the strength fall back into my system.

(woah, a double update. something I don't think i have ever actually done. haha. hope you guys like this chapter. i started to cry a tiny bit while writing it. wow that sounds so weird and stupid. lol. hope you like it anyway. ily all. please keep reading and don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT.

also I have now published my interview questions book. it's probably not something you want to read but if you want to ask me anything, then i will answer your questions so... yeah. thanks so much)