Chapter Four

I leave the house early the next morning. I know I have to work—the usual shift at Caroline’s, despite my protesting about my job today—but that is the last thing I care about. Working alongside my sister isn’t something I want to do, either, but what can I do?

The beach is nearly empty when I come upon it. That’s to be expected so early, of course. But what I don’t expect to see is two boys surfing at this hour. It’s already nice looking there, despite the party that went on last night. People must have pitched in and cleaned up late. At the thought of the party, my stomach is sick.

Oh, Marcus, I think as I make my way down the boardwalk and to the beach, closer to the surfers. As I’m walking up, I see that it’s the tourists from Grow Mart. Wyatt and Max.  

Wyatt’s coming in; Max is attempting to catch a wave.

“Hey!” Wyatt says as soon as he spots me. “Isn’t it a little early for you?”

“Please.” I’m finally face-to-face with him. “I have to work in an hour, anyway.”

He perks up. “Really? Where?”

“There.” Annoyed at the fact that I have to tell him, I point to Caroline’s, the pink sign and girly front obvious, even from this far away.

“Girly,” he decides.

“Yeah. Well.”

“I’m sorry.” He laughs. “That place is…” He shakes his head.

“I know, I know.”

“How could you…?” He’s still laughing.

“Humor me, Wyatt,” I deadpan.

He looks up and blinks, shocked. “Whoa, Katelyn—or should I say Regular?—calm down, okay? I’m only—”

“Kidding, I know.”

He shakes his head, his hair noticeably soaked. “So you have an hour, huh?”

“You got it.”

“You look bummed. You okay?”

I didn’t know a break up was something you could see. “I’m okay.” I nod.

“Why don’t you,” he looks towards Max who is now coming in, too, brightening up at the sight of me, “join us for breakfast? There has to be somewhere to get food around here, right?”

“Coffee shop down the road,” I tell him. “Beach Brew. Muffins and fresh coffee, always.”

He smiles. “Care to join us?”

“I couldn’t possibly—”

“Oh, come on Kate. I know you just met us, but really? You have to come. Besides,” he chuckles again, “we have no idea where we’re going.”

The cups of coffee are bottomless at Beach Brew, even though the coffee is nothing short of terrible by me, and the pastries are some of the best I’ve ever eaten. Needless to say, the place is great. It’s the perfect thing to show some tourists, and Roy likes the business. The poor guy has been working like crazy for twenty years, so he welcomes anybody new that likes his shop.

“Kate!” Roy smiles when he sees me. “Hello!”

“Hi, Roy.”

“Your usual?”

I smile back at him. “Apple Danish.” I nod. “And whatever my friends are getting.”

Wyatt and Max, who have been staring confusingly at the array of vintage paraphernalia, look up. “Katelyn,” Wyatt begins, “you don’t have to buy us breakfast.”