Chapter Five

It’s the Monday that my dad, Aubrey and the kids are supposed to arrive. After some coaxing from Wyatt when I told him the situation, he explained that it would be in my best interest to at least meet them for dinner. Despite my protesting, he helped me.

So now, knowing that they’re going to be here in a matter of hours, I’m nervous, for some reason.

I’m sitting at Caroline’s, the place busier than usual, full of people who are all picking through the bathing suit collection. A short blonde girl picks up a pink boy short bikini just as Melanie says,

“You’ve been spending all of your time with Wyatt.”

I look at her. “What?”

“You,” she narrows her eyes at me, “have been spending, like, all of your time with Wyatt. If I didn’t know better, I would assume you were a couple.”

I blush, tearing my eyes away from her.

“See! You totally want that!”

“Holy crap,” Maggie says.

“I do not—”

Maggie runs her hand down my arm, fitting her hand over my own. “It’s okay to want to move on, Katelyn. It’s not a big deal. It’s natural.”

I go to reply, but give it up, noticing the surge of people shuffling over to us at the register. Just as Maggie reluctantly starts helping out, the mantra, Hello, thank you for shopping at Caroline’s. Did you find everything you were looking for today? filling my ears, my phone rings.

“Crap.” Mel looks up, curious. “It’s Marcus,” I say.

“Go.” She nods, giving me the go-ahead. “We have this under control.”

“I owe you!” I tell her, quickly walking to the quiet of the office. “Marcus? What do you want?”

“Kate? Can we talk?”

I laugh. “Listen, now isn’t a good time.”

“Katelyn, please? We need to figure this out.”

“Oh, a week later you want to discuss this?”

“Don’t do this,” he says.

“You know what? Fine. I’ll meet you at Beach Brew in ten minutes.”

He sighs in relief. “Aren’t you at work?”

“Yes. I’ll figure it out though. Beach Brew, ten minutes.”

He clears his throat. “Gotcha.”

“Mel! I need another favor!” I say as I make my way from the office.

Her eyes widen at me. “What now?”

“I’m going to meet Marcus at Beach Brew. Take my place?”

“Are you kidding?”

“Melanie, please? Please.”

She looks at the crowd, the line at the register growing. At the front, a redhead with a blue one-piece and a pair of expensive sunglasses is bargaining with Maggie for a deal on what she’s purchasing. Her friend, a brunette with black thick-framed glasses, is trying to be the voice of reason. “Just buy the stuff,” she’s saying.

“So expensive,” Redhead replies.

“There’s a line, Alex,” she says in a harsh voice. “Get it or get out.”

Alex rolls her eyes. “I’m putting it on my credit card,” she says.

“So, anyway.” I look at Mel who now looks annoyed.