Izabelle: Chapter 14: The Quest Continues

I walked into Carter's room, and I felt like I was going to faint. It reminded me so much of home, I wanted to cry. It looked a lot like Lucas' abandoned room, but was less dusty and smelled better, but not by much. It was still dirty, and probably hadn't been dusted in a while. But, it's not like I dust my room, either, so I couldn't say anything about that.

I found Carter sitting on the bed in the middle of the room, staring at the floor. Brooklynn was in a corner, picking up trash and throwing it in a plastic bag.

Something was up.

“What's going on?” I asked with a worrisome tone.

There was no response from either of them. They both looked up at me, then to each other, scowled and turned back to their original position.

I looked to Andrew for advice on what I should do. He just shrugged. I sighed and walked to Brooklynn, careful not to trip over anything.

“What happened?” I asked, kneeling on the floor next to her.

She looked at me and rolled her eyes. “Can you tell Carter what a complete slob he is? There is no organization at all! I can't stand it in here.”

At the sound of his name, Carter looked over to see why his name was mentioned, but turned back when he saw Brooklynn.

“That's it?” I asked, thinking that this was a complete waste of energy to fight.

“Yes! I refuse to stay here unless there is some type of organization!” she argued.

“Can't you just organize it when we are gone? It's pointless to argue now, it will waste time we could use to plan how we are going to get out of here,” I said, trying to reason with her.

“No. I will not have this mess to clean by myself! He needs to clean up his act before you leave, or I will just have to go with you,” she said, turning up her delicate nose.

“Oh, no. I've got to hurry and change Carter's mind. She can not come with us!” was jumbled up in my mind as I panicked. My eyes got wide and I rushed over to Carter, still staring at the filthy floor.

“Leave me alone,” he grumbled under his breath.

“No, I won't. Brooklynn is telling me that if this room isn't clean before we leave, she'll come with us!” I told him, low enough that Brooklynn couldn't hear. Andrew heard, though. He was standing by the door, looking around the room. When he heard this, he bolted next to me and sat.

“What?” Andrew asked, but not quietly. Brooklynn turned her head and scowled again.

Carter looked straight at me in horror. He looked back at Brooklynn and whispered to me, “She can't do that, can she?”

“She would find a way. Even if we say she can't, she will turn up her stubborn nose and refuse to listen,” I told them, though I wished it wasn't that way.

They were silent for a while.

“I guess you're right,” Andrew whispered.

“I guess we could help her,” compromised Carter.

I pinched his arm. “It's your room,” I said through gritted teeth.

“Ow! You didn't need to do that!” he exclaimed.

“Just go and apologize!” I urged him.

He grumbled, but stood. He looked back at me, and I pushed him. He sighed, and stumbled to where Brooklynn was filling the bag with junk. He mumbled something, and Brooklynn smiled and nodded. She hugged him gratefully. When they withdrew, she handed a garbage bag to him. He began shoving garbage into it, but he still looked unhappy.