Izabelle: Epilogue

Brooklynn : June 25, 2013

I laid on my fluffy bed, listening to my MP3 player. And it wasn't one of those cheap ones with only two thousand songs on it. Mine could hold fifty thousand and could play videos. Yeah, that's what I get for being rich. It's awesome, right?

My butler came through the door. I pulled my headphones out of my ears and looked up from my magazine.

“What is it?” I asked, annoyed by his presence. I was trying to escape into my magazine.

“Your father wants to speak to you,” he said in a monotone voice. My parents had taught him to never show emotion. I thought it was horrible to do to a human, but my parents overpowered me.

“My father? I thought he left for Paris and won't be back until October,” I told him, baffled.

“He stopped back home to see you. He wished to speak with you before he made a decision,” the butler told me. I saw hid mouth smile slightly.

I nodded and stood from my bed. My butler showed me the door and I walked through.

“He is just down the stairs, Ms. Brooklynn,” my butler told me. I ran down the stairs. I was so excited to see my dad. I hadn't seen him since May when he left.

When I came down the stairs, Dad was sitting on the couch by the fireplace. My favorite dog, Lucky, was curled up on his lap.

“Dad!” I exclaimed and ran to hug him.

“Oh, I miss my Brookie! I have a present for you,” he told me excitedly, the corners of his eyes crinkling.

“Dad, why did you have to leave? I've missed you too much. Mom is never home,” I mumbled as I clung to his side.

“I need to talk to you about that, but first I'll need you to sit down next to me.”

I did as he said and he pulled a box out of his suit pocket. He handed the white, glossy cube to me.

I opened it up and revealed a golden chain with a heart pendant dangling from it. I took the necklace out with trembling fingers. I held it in my hands and turned the heart over and over. I saw a hinge on the side. It was a locket, I realized. I opened the hinge and gasped. Inside was a picture of my dad and I when we went to New York. I was eleven then. We were standing by some flowers directly in front of the Empire State Building.

I stared at the picture. Tears began to form in my eyes. I looked up at my dad. He smiled at me. “Do you like it?” he asked.

I nodded and said, “Yes. Thank you so much. I'll never take it off.” I fastened the chain around my neck.

“Good. Now, I need to ask you something.”

“What is it? Is it bad?” I asked, worried.

“Well, it's about my job. You and Emma and Rebecca never get to see me, and that makes me sad. I don't want to be away from my family all of the time and the butlers can only do so much. You and Emma can't be raised without parents ever around. I think I should quit my job, but I want your opinion,” he told me.

“What? You can't just quit! This is your dream job you're talking about! You went to college for six years before you could work! You can't just quit!” I cried. I had stood up.

“Brooklynn, this will be better for everyone. Honestly, I'm not very happy when I'm away from everyone for so long. I feel like I should be here instead of Paris or London. They're wonderful cities, but I like Boston a lot better. This is where I'm happy,” he tried convincing me. It was just so sudden. I didn't want him to give up his dream just for me. Well, Emma and Mom, too, but that isn't the point.