Chapter 9: The Games

Cato POV
After Prim storms up to her room, I loose it. I strangle Peeta, and say, "You will be my second target, after the girl from 11."
He actually looks scared. I get off him to go comfort Prim.
When I get up there, she is in her bed crying. She changed, so now she is just in a shirt and sweatpants. I hate seeing her this way.
"Prim?" I ask from the doorway.
"Go away!" She shouts.
"Prim, It's not Peeta. It's Cato," I say.
She comes over to me and jumps into my arms, crying. I set us on the bed.
"He had no right! How could he? Katniss will never love him, she loves Gale!" She says.
"Who are Gale and Katniss?" I say softly, not wanting to make her cry more.
"Katniss is my sister. Gale is her best friend, and her hunting partner. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be alive," she says, still crying.
Oh, that's why she's so sensitive about this. Her sister was her life source.
She eventually falls asleep. I stay with her, and eventually fall asleep too.
******************************
Prim POV
I wake up, and Cato's arms are around me. Oh, how I love that feel. I snuggle in closer, and he starts waking up.
"I know a new nickname that's easier to say, for you. Rose," He says, still a bit sleepy.
"I love it," I say.
"Let's get back to sleep," he says.
"Ok," I say, and we fall asleep together.
******************************
I am woken by Effie. I try to to snuggle into Cato's arms, but Effie shakes us both harder.
"Get off me!" Cato yells at her.
She walks back, scared.
"Well, today is the Games if you didn't realize. Get up, go win or die, and then you can sleep together," she says.
"Fine. See you later, Rose," he says, then walks out.
I giggle at my new nickname.
My prep team is here, so they give me my clothes and do my hair. Me, Clove, and Glimmer are all wearing the same hairstyle, that way we know who each other is.
They give me my Arena outfit, and send me to the hovercraft, where I sit between Cato and Clove.
I stare down Rue and Peeta on the way to the Arena. I also cuddle with Cato. Peeta and Rue seem scared, which is weird.
Sadly, after about an hour, I get pulled away from Cato.
We are each walked to a room, where we sit in District order, first boy, then girl. We are taken, one at a time, to where we launch. I am last, so I wait there for an hour.
I am finally taken to the launch room, where Cinna is waiting. I hug him, needing to let my feeling out. I start sobbing as I realize that I may be killed. I don't want to leave the world, I don't want to leave Katniss. I don't want to leave Mom.
I don't want to leave Glimmer.
I don't want to leave Marvel.
I don't want to leave Clove.
And I really, really don't want to leave my one true love, Cato.
Soon, too soon, the robotic voice says "5 minutes."
Me and Cinna break apart, and I eat some food, who knows when I will get more.
"1 minute," the robotic voice says.
"I can't bet, but if I could, I would bet on you," Cinna says, sadly.
"If I'm dying, will you try to make Haymitch send me a life saving item?" I ask.
"Of course," he says.
"30 seconds."
I step into the tube, and the glass closes. I wave to Cinna, and am taken into the Arena.
******************************
Cato POV
I look for Rose as soon as I'm in the Arena. She is near me, so I can cover her. I see knife jackets, so I signal to Clove and Rose.
Let the Hunger Games begin
******************************
Prim POV
"60"
I'm in a forest.
"59"
I see Cato.
"58"
"57"
"56"
"55"
He signals me and Clove to the knife jackets.
"54"
"53"
"52"
"51"
"50"
"49"
"48"
"47"
If I die, I will miss you Katniss.
"46"
"45"
"44"
"43"
"42"
"41"
"40"
"39"
I love you Cato
"38"
"37"
"36"
"35"
"34"
"33"
"32"
"31"
"30"
"29"
"28"
"27"
"26"
"25"
I watch the clock tick away.
"24"
"23"
"22"
"21"
"20"
"19"
"18"
"17"
"16"
"15"
I make sure not to step off my plate.
"14"
"13"
"12"
"11"
"10"
"9"
"8"
"7"
"6"
"5"
"4"
"3"
"2"
Let's do this.
"1"
"Ladies and Gentlemen, let the 74th Annual Hunger Games begin!"