Part 1 Chapter 1: Nubibus Bellum

The night for bode unforgiving terror; not even the moon shone itself. The stars themselves seemed sparse as the night dwindled on. A torrent of rain poured relentlessly, as if the clouds had the sea within its mass. But even the rain could not mask the city smog. It reeked almost offensively, invading ones nostrils with the musty stench of pollution. It almost choked out the scent of the man who had been trailing him for a couple blocks. Each step the man made was careful and calculating, yet unfortunately for the man's sake, was betrayed by the many puddles that would soon contain his blood. Even his very shadow was bragged by whatever street lights decided to shine. With each step they became swallowed in darkness, leaving only one of them blind. One man left the shadows... the other an eternal rest had befallen. Moonlight was not present to alert any passerby of the brutal event, but even if it did most would keep to themselves. The corpse in the alley was that of a mutant... fear had laid no hold upon him, which was his downfall.
Logan walked into the open garage, closing it after entering. As he fumbled for the light, he thought about the audacity of the mutant who had been tailing him. The light turned on not by his hand, but Medusa's. Offering a weak smile Logan emptied his mind "The thing about fear is that it forces you to think, it forces you to come up with new ideas, but most of all your fully invested in fighting it. When you fear something, more time and effort go into what you're doing to prevent the undesired outcome. A mutant trailed me... I had never been tailed like that before... he had no fear. Either he must of been ill informed or alarmingly cocky... He must have thought that he was a formidable opponent so he abandoned fear. Now his body lays crumpled on a dirty alleyway. Bit by bit his body transformed into salt. He was a Traitor. I even spat next to his corpse. Can hardly trust your own kind these days." He stated with a hard expression.

The subtle frame of the redhead stood in the darkness waiting for her guest. Barging into his space was the more appropriate term for what she was doing but after many months either one of them had grown accustomed to each other showing up unexpectedly. When light illuminated the large room and the strong man before her laid out what had occurred her chest rose and fell letting out a long sigh. "I'm afraid that I am responsible for such things. Some have learned that you are closely connected to me and seem to deduce whether you are apart of my war.... another reason why I snuck into your place at such a late hour. This place would be a hot zone if the American government knew of my presence.... I apologize deeply for the inconvenience, Logan." Her words expressed her true regret that even her friend was being affected but this war was going to involve him one way or another. Her viridescent eyes shifted from his and around the room trying to sort out many thoughts that invaded her normally clear and firm mind. But doubt and fear had taken deep roots in her and it was difficult to weed them out at every turn the Inhuman Queen took.

He could see it in her eyes, but refused to believe it. His nose never lied yet that very night he wished it did. She didn't regret her decision to declare war... He could smell the chemicals she was giving off with each emotion that leaked from her heart and knew he was about to return to a whole world of pain. It nibbled at him to the point that he voiced it aggressively. "So you are going through with it..." He let the statement hang in the air to dry for a couple seconds realizing that he didn't want to hear the confirmation. "You can't fight this war against only the brotherhood. You must see that! Don't you understand Attilan's will see all mutants as their enemy? You can't control them and even if you do I can't fight by your side, don't you get that? I can't murder my own kind... That night at the cabin... the kiss we shared. did that mean anything to you..." Walking towards her he remained entranced by his feeling for her. Their relationship had anchored within his heart the same way it did with Jean. He knew he couldn't lose her... The shadow of tragedy had creeped back into mind as he questioned the motive of the meeting. Cold blood pumped from the icy knot of muscle which pounded against death with every beat. She loved her husband, not only that she respected his decisions... even when they went against his own kind, he couldn't trust her...