Production Lines Of The Mind, Infobesity And... by Loron-Jon Stokes

Production Lines Of The Mind, Infobesity And Going On An Information Diet

Modern living can be bewildering, even to the most organised and informed of people. Our daily lives have increased in pace to a point where we are not only expected to adapt in the way we do things but also in the way we think.

Computers, and the transfer of data which they support across the globe, have put us in touch with all of the open information that humanity has gathered to date. Beyond that, we have social network media and other forums of exchange, which allow us unparalleled access to each other's lives.

People today consume information at an unprecedented rate but is there a point at which a saturation of information starts to impede our ability to understand?

A condition known as 'overnutrition' tells us that our bodies can become so saturated by a nutrient that their ability to process it is impeded. Physiologically speaking, our bodies become overwhelmed and, in many cases, start to show symptoms of having a deficit in the exact nutrient which has swamped our system.

An analogy which illustrates how this sort of problem arises is that of a production line. If you continually speed up the conveyor belt which is supplying the workers then eventually a point will be reached where the packers can no longer keep up. In an effort to reach an efficiency which is unobtainable, we see the processing of even a single item become impossible.

Turning back to our original question, it seems apparent that information could produce a similar effect. Psychologically speaking 'information overload', otherwise known as infobesity, occurs when too much information is taken on board to properly consider each piece of data.

Just as in nutrition, or general productivity, infobesity can be very harmful. If we take on board too much information then the effects on our minds can be very real and damaging. Our ability to apply sound judgement is lost and our psychological well being is injured.

Considering our earlier analogies, it is unlikely that any individual could benefit from being overloaded with information but I'm an optimistic type so let's look for any advantages which might lie beyond the individual.

One upside can be found among elite groups of people who employ propaganda. If your aim is to produce a list of one sided benefits which support your cause, while ignoring any counterpoints, then information overload is very useful indeed. If someone is overloaded with information before they even start to listen to propaganda, how will they ever come to consider any alternate points?

Simply put, history has shown that individuals usually don't spot the hidden dangers behind propaganda and are reluctant to listen to those who do. If your mind is struggling to keep up with the everyday facts of living then it just isn't possible to consider how favourable your options are.

Don't worry though, there is a simple answer for anyone who thinks that they may be afflicted with information overload; Go on an information diet!

If we become more aware of the volume, type and substance of information that we're consuming then we can check that we don't stretch our brain's waistline with a load of flabby thinking. Variety is as important in the consumption of information as it is in diet.

In conclusion, humanity is engaged in a banquet of information, so be careful not to over indulge and we can happily exchange thoughts until the dawn of tomorrow.

Endlessly, Perpetually, Something,

L-J

'The pioneers of a warless world are the young men and women who refuse military service.' - Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955