•The Reichenbach Fall: Part One•

Chapter Twenty-Two: Dear Old Friend

"Okay, class, make sure you remain in the building, and please, don't do anything that will kill each other, yourselves, or me." My history teacher announced, then adjusted her scarf.
"Can we kill bugs?" One boy asked, and I glanced over to see the speaker.
"If you must, Daniel." She said, then went on to look at the exhibits.

I put my head down, clutching my notebook and novel, then dragged on with the trip. I hated museums now. They only reminded me of when I was insane enough to imagine a friend.
I proceeded with the security scan, placing my phone, money, and books in the bin. Nothing was exciting enough to set off a noise, so I was clear. The same couldn't be said for the man behind me. A loud beep drew my attention, and I saw him go back and place his phone down.

Turning back around, I proceeded past the paintings and sculptures into the Crown Jewels. My hands shook mercilessly as I stood in the back of a room, filled with both adults and teenagers. Thought it was only several weeks after the events near Baskerville, I believed it to be years. Though they were clenching the books, my hands still trembled.

I stepped up to the case, which showcased a crimson throne with gold armrests, and a crown resting on the seat. Wrapping the throne was a white cloak, it's outer design resembling animal fur in both texture and appearance. I scribbled down my observation and pranced around the exhibit. The crown was only fit for a King, one that would let nothing stand in his way, for if anyone dared, he would strike them down with the jewelled sceptre at the side of the seat.

By sheer ignorance, I accidentally collided with a girl, one not from my school. Both of our books fell to the ground, my face turning red from embarrassment.
"I-I'm so sorry." I apologised profusely, and quickly squat to pick up my belongings.
"Don't be. It was my fault." She responded, an American accent layering her words. Something in my head recognised the voice, and the red tips of her fingers.

"No, it was completely my fault. I wasn't looking-" I continued, picking up my novel while speaking and  standing. I stopped when my eyes met her green ones.
Her shining blonde hair complimented her freckled face, and navy blue uniform. It was straight like mine, but halfway down it morphed into sleek waves. A stranger, yet she couldn't have been more familiar.
"...where I was going." I said, my words a quiet statement. She chuckled, her sparkling white teeth reflecting the sparkle of the Crown Jewels.
"You look vaguely familiar, haven't I seen you somewhere?" She asked. "I'm Lucy. What's your name?"

"I-" I begin, then an alarm interrupts us. I look up, then to the side, and through the glass my heart stops.
Eyes focused, earbuds in, and wearing a certain London hat was someone that pained me to see.
"God it's you." I said under my breath, then, as if hearing me, Jim Moriarty looked in my direction, and my heart stopped.
"We gotta go." I told Lucy, then took her arm and ran in the opposite direction, out of the Crown Jewels exhibit.
"Wait, who is that man?" The girl asked, her accent caked with concern.
I did not respond, only breathed as we ran through a maze of history through art. So many thoughts were collecting inside my mind.

'It's her, Aspen. Your childhood friend who moved away. She was the first to leave. Then John, and-'  No, I stopped my thoughts, and saw a large red Exit sign over a door. Following my instincts, I dragged my not so new friend through the door and out into the London air. We both leaned against the wall, catching our breath.

"You love adventure." Lucy admitted in between breaths, and bent to tie her blue sneakers. "Someone who does must have an adventurous name."
"Aspen." I said in a heavy breath. The girl stopped whilst completing the knot, and looked up from her sneaker, her eyes in a realising stare.
"What did you say?" She asked.
"Aspen. Aspen Watson." I said, and felt a rush of warmth. I had to pull back the tears that came from my old friend. "And if 'adventurous' counts within my parents naming me after-
"an aspen tree." Lucy finished, her tone slightly different from before.

"Hey Lucy." I said, bringing my hand to a wave, before putting it back in my pocket.
The girl immediately embraced me, and I the same, feeling a soft smile creep up.
"You've gotten thin and old." She joked, then pulled away as we began walking.
"You've gotten taller." I said, clutching my books with one arm.
"You're still reading that silly book?" Lucy asked, taking my novel, then opened it.

Immediately, the old, dark blue rose fell out, and the joy I had felt began to snuff. I quickly bent down and collected the petals. Actual, tangible petals.
"Why'd you come back?" I asked, trying to avoid any questions about the rose that would lead to my stories of after she had left.
"My grandmother decided it was best if my siblings and I went to school in the same city. Unfortunately, it's not the same school." She explained, gesturing to her uniform.
"Class trip?" I asked, still in a bit of a daze from the flower.
"Yeah. And I would say the same for you." She said, pulling her short light hair to the side.
"You picked up an accent." I noticed, feeling Sherlock's skills rub off. Unfortunately, that was as far as they went.

"Definitely. I presume it'll go away. I'm here for good now." Lucy said, and I looked to my friend.
"Really?"
"Absolutely. So we can catch up with where we left off as children." She suggested as we came up to the side of the museum.
My eyes met Detective Inspector Lestrade, who's eyes widened, and waved me over with his hand.
I looked to the side to see Moriarty being ushered into a police car. Our eyes locked and he smirked at me.

"Aspen!" Lucy called, and I looked to her. "I asked you how you've been!" She said, then looked over to Moriarty. "You know him?" She asked, and I pushed down the dread filling up inside.
"I gotta go. It was nice seeing you again." I began to walk to Lestrade. "I moved, by the way, 221B Baker Street!" I finished, looking back. Once again, I ran into someone. It was that boy who asked if they could kill bugs... David- someone.
"Sorry." I said, then went to Lestrade.

"Aspen! What the bloody hell are you doing here?" The man asked me.
"School trip." I said.
"You're not supposed to be here. You're supposed to be with Sherlock and John." He told me. "It's too late now. They're on their way. Just stay here until they come. I reckon John will want a word with you."
"Lestrade I-" I began.

"Not now, Aspen. I can't trust what you say after what happened in Baskerville." Lestrade told me, which shut me up.

Off in the distance, Lucy was boarding a bus with her schoolmates. She looked back and our eyes met.
Suddenly, a haunting thought sprouted in my mind: if I could make up a figure so vivid as Wyatt Roman, what's to say I could imagine my childhood friend returning?