Chapter 3: Time For A Change

I am now 16 years old and living with mom and dad. My sister has moved out and went to college. She is majoring in a medical field ever since she figured out what happened to me. I'm in 11th grade according to my parents. I live in a little town called Jamieson Meadows in Iowa.
   "Ethan! Pay attention to your work," mom commanded.
   I was sitting there drawing a picture of what I saw through the wall. That is one thing training did for me. Even when I'm not dead I could still see through walls and other solid objects.
   "Sorry mom."
   "This is one of the reasons you won't be able to go to school," mom scolded.
   "If I was at a public school I would have my mind on other things like friends or what homework I would have when I get home and not on my power," I retaliated.
   My mom and I have this argument over and over again. I despise being homeschooled. It is so lonely. I barely get to leave the house because mom fears that I might accidentally show the world my power or as she consider as a curse.
   "You never know what would happen. I promised myself I would give you a normal life and goddamnit I'm gonna give it to you!"
    "We don't have neighbors for 3 miles because you bought a secluded house to keep me away from people and most of them don't even know we're here! How is that a normal life?!"
   "Ethan! This is the best life you are going to get because you sure as hell...."
   "I'm not living if you forgot. Why did you have me if you don't want me? Your not trying to get me to have a normal life, you're just tryna tolerate me. You don't want me and you sure as hell don't want this life either," I said,"You would look bad getting rid of me so you're doing this for yourself!"
   "No...no I'm not, Ethan! Don't you ever say that again! I lo..."
   I didn't hear the rest because I died. My body fell limp on the floor. Mom didn't even react because it was so usual but she was mad and frustrated. She pulled her braid on her head, fiddling with with the frills on her shirt. She is only 35 but from all the stress added to her age.
   Sometimes I get where mom is coming from and other times I just don't know why she's trying. She knows I can control it. She see me do it everyday. Every time I'm annoyed I die, she see me look through walls, she also sees me take my living body and go through walls but only for a few seconds. I know she knows that I understand what I'm doing and I wouldn't be doing it for show.
   I went up to mom and dad's room to see what he was doing. He was sitting at his desk scribbling pictures. He was currently working on a beach landscape. The sun was just setting, it was just peaking above the horizon. The sun rays were spanning the sky. The ocean was sparkling like diamonds were hand placed in the ocean to shine in the right places. There were footprints in the sand and it looked like there were only two people there. There were two pair of footprints centered, both facing each other. One set bigger than the other. The smaller set had only one foot was fully imprinted in the sand the other was just the toes.
   Dad stopped drawing and rubbed his eyes. He put two fingers on his temples and started rubbing them. He wasn't that old either. Just 37 years old but stress also added to his age.
   Somebody walked in. It was mom. She walked over to dad and put her hands on his shoulders. She looked over his shoulders and saw the picture. She smiled and kissed him on his cheeks.
   "You can't keep him in here his whole life. You know that right?" Dad asked.
   "I know. He obviously doesn't want to be here," mom said.
   "Then let's enroll him now and then he can go on Monday," Dad suggested.      
   "But David...."
    "No Cynthia. The boy is 16 years old and doesn't have any friends. He probably doesn't know how to talk to real people."
   By the way, I do.
   "Just please. This is not a normal life," Dad pleaded.
   "Ugh, fine I'll start enrolling him now. Who's telling him?"
   "We both are, Cyn."
   "Fine. We'll tell him at dinner."
    I shouldn't have heard that. Now I won't be able to keep my excitement in at dinner. I should enter back into my body and sleep to contain it.