Chapter Four

"Evelyn," I wake in a strange room, being nudged by a repeating toe.

Al is splayed across the humongous bed and seems reluctant to have to withdraw his toe from prodding my back, which was super gross. "It's time for you to get ready."

I sit up, backing away. "For what, might I ask?"

"That is a secret soon to be revealed to you, princess," he says in a mockingly formal tone. I roll my eyes and he just says,"Really, though. Edna is ready for you."

"Um, okay. Should I change?"

He smirks,"Not unless you want this to take five times longer than it should."

I frowned, and he hands me my robe. "Here. Put this over your pajamas."

Once I have the plush robe on, Al leads me down the hallway to where I'll be getting ready, so I decide to get some answers out of him while I can.

"So... where's Lucas?" I ask him.

He looks at me strangely,"You mean the boy who was with you?"

I nod earnestly, and Al shrugs,"I don't know. I guess he's getting ready for the presentation, too." At my doubting face, he adds,"I was only assigned to watch over you- you can't possibly expect me to keep an eye on him, too."

I look down at my feet, disappointed by the news. While talking, we must've crossed into the room in which this so-called Edna was waiting.

She was a short auburn haired person who had a big smile on her round face. "You must be Evelyn," she sticks out her hand, which I grab to shake. She won't release my hand until she has dragged me into a chair.

She spins me around in the seat and Al exits the bright room. I face the closet full of dresses, and she asks me what color I prefer. "Green," I reply almost immediately.

This causes her to purse her lips as she flicks through the different dresses. "Here," she shoves out some of the clothes in my direction. "Try them on, they should all be your size."

I remove the robe and slip the dress on the top of the stack over my head. I wonder how they got my measurements. Probably found them while I was sleeping. I shudder at the thought of Edna and some other strangers staring at and touching my bare skin.

"Turn," she instructs. I do as she asked and spun around slowly. I come to a stop in front of a mirror and see Edna's face matching my thoughts. The dress is a gorgeous soft green that reached down to about mid-thigh.

Edna smiles widely,"Looks like this one fits! But we still need to try on the others to be certain."

I nod, then reluctantly slip off the garment. I did put the rest on, but our minds were already set. I hand the clothing back to Edna, who then asks me to take the dress off again, and then to take a seat by the table

Once I remove the dazzling dress, I plant myself firmly on the chair near the vanity. Edna comes over, laying my new dress on a chair beside me. She opens up the mirrors to reveal loads of makeup and other beauty products.

As she covers up my skin with the products, I am taken back to the time when my best friends did the exact same thing. "Edna? When was I... picked up by you guys?"

She sighs,"Honestly, I have no idea. But the drug we give to people is supposed to knock them out for days at a time. But for someone with your abilities," she shrugs, as if casting the thought aside.

I narrow my eyes,"Abilities? Like what? Managing to keep a 4.0 in school and being able to have time to go to parties? Or maybe managing to get me and my date kidnapped?"

She flinches, shocked by my coldness. "Never mind," she mutters. "Let's just get you ready."

I regret the words almost immediately, seeing that I hurt her feelings. As she combs through my hair to wash it, I recall that she's working for the ones who kidnapped us and a bit of the guilt is lifted off of my shoulders. Why should I feel sympathy for someone working for Lucas's and my imprisoners?

"Any different color?" she asks me, holding up bottles of brown, red, and black hair dye.

I shake my head as she sighs, and at her disappointment, I allow her to add in some light brown highlights.

*****************

Once I'm ready, I'm brought to a room with a huge table- it's probably lunch time. As I wait with Al, the seats slowly fill up. I'm relieved when Lucas enters the room (perfectly unharmed, thank the lord) and is allowed to take a spot not too far away from me.

He smiles at me, then gives me a wave that can barely be seen, as it was being hidden by the dark mahogany table. The room suddenly stills, and all the dust particles can be seen floating in the air. Everyone rises and faces the double doors which would soon be opened.

Lucas and I rush to our feet, a bit confused at the situation. "The Master is here," Al whispers into my ear, leaning down.

Understanding passes over my face, but Lucas is looking at me in confusion. I stare intently at the doors, waiting for 'the master' to enter. Some people seem nervous while others are nearly smiling. I'm curious, but shaking with fear and anger at the same time.

When he finally enters, I'm surprised by how young he looks, considering everyone except for the guards, Lucas, and I are at least a decade older than him.

"Hello," he says, and I shake his hand. "I'm Leonardo Delos."

I smile at him. "Evelyn Michelle Amber Soled."

He laughs,"Yes, but I already knew that."

I'm a bit frightened at this, but it makes sense- why would he have kidnapped a complete stranger? He takes a seat at the head of the table beside me, and I inwardly shiver. I felt like I was their prey, and they were closing in on me.

I sit down, smiling rather nervously. The food comes in courses, and very slowly. I finish what little they have put on my first plate, my stomach growling in anticipation. Al slides a laughing expression my way, so I rub my stomach to give my defense.

The rest of the meal, the creep questions Lucas and I about our life's - our hobbies, our families, how well we did in school- everything. It was quite frightening how much he already knew.

"Evelyn, why aren't you eating much? this is your favorite meal, correct?"

I nod ever so slightly, stabbing the little meat allowed for us women. I swallow, drinking some iced tea poured for me. The coarse food slides down my throat, and I say,"It is wonderful. I should've tried it sooner."

That makes him smile, satisfied. "I hope you enjoy the dessert, also."

We finish the meal soon, and I get up to leave, escorted by Al and some others. "Evelyn," the Master rises from his seat.

I look back at him, curious to see what the creep needs to say.

"We are all," at this he smirks," enjoying your company." He opens his arms and sweeps them across the room to prove his point.