Chapter Four

Sparrowkit and Monarchkit padded out the exit, and sure enough, it was right outside the camp.

"How did you know it did this?" Monarchkit asked, stepping in front of Sparrowkit and bringing him to a halt."

"I knew the exit was exactly across the clearing from the entrance, yet I came out in the exact same place I went in." He smiled and glanced in her direction, then looked at his paws self-consciously.

"You're so clever, Sparrowkit," Monarchkit purred. She leaned into him.

Sparrowkit tensed, and Monarchkit pulled away, surprised. Just a moment ago, weren't they walking together with their pelts brushing? She turned away. "So just when did you find this place?" she asked, her mew no longer filled with warmth.

Sparrowkit looked down. "Last night, after everyone had fallen asleep. I was bored, so I paced in circles around the nursery. I tripped on a stray twig, and fell though the hidden wall. I decided to explore it, and when I came back I woke you up." He looked at her with dark eyes, looking strikingly like his mother's. He yawned.

Poor thing, Monarchkit thought. He hasn't gotten any sleep, all night. She paused. Hmph, whatever. Who cares. She could still not forget the feeling of him tensing up beneath her. She realized they were still stalling in the exit of the tunnel. "Come on, let's go," she said briskly.

Sparrowkit started at her tone. "Sure." They padded all the way out, and as soon as the smallest hair on the tip of their tails went past, a patrol rounded the corner. Monarchkit looked back, but the tunnel had disappeared.

Leading the patrol was Cardinalflash, followed by Dartpaw and.... Buntingflight. My least favorite warrior. They both backed away, then straightened to their entire stubby kit height, which barely reached up to Dartpaw's shoulders, even counting their horns.

Of course, Buntingflight immediately started questioning them. "And where were you two?" He asked, narrowing his eyes to indigo slits and raising his wings to look bigger. Dartpaw, who had not yet noticed the twosome, dropped the mouse she was carrying in surprise. Buntingflight momentarily forgot about them, whirling angrily towards Dartpaw and lectured her about getting perfectly good prey dirty, but not without one last menacing glare in the direction of Monarchkit and Sparrowkit. "I'll be back for you later," he growled, then continued yelling at Dartpaw.

"Jeez, all she did was drop a mouse and he explodes. Does he have a permanent thistle stuck in his throat or something?" Monarchkit commented darkly. She was relieved they had gotten past without any questioning.

"He had a horrible past. Did you know that he has no living family members? They all dropped dead mysteriously, one after the other. Some say he's cursed. None of his apprentices has ever lived to become a warrior," Sparrowkit mewed matter-of-factly.

Monarchkit felt a twinge of worry for her friend. Poor Dartpaw! "How do you know this?" she asked.

"My mother told me. She said avoid being his apprentice at all costs." They were at the entrance barrier now, the leafy canopy of thorny branches above their heads. She ducked her head beneath a low-growing tendril then replied.

"It's not like you get to choose your mentor." They were reaching the end of the tunnel. Monarchkit took a glance at Sparrowkit. He was padding forward with his head down, weariness clearly showing in his slow, faltering steps. She was surprised to find weariness tugging at her own bones as well. I don't want anything right now but a long nap, she thought. From the look on Sparrowkit's face, she could tell he was thinking the same thing.

But alas, it could not be. As soon as she turned the corner she met the eyes of her frantic mother.

"Monarchkit! Where were you? I've been frantic. We've been frantic. I was just about to go find you myself. Your father's still looking for you. And Sparrowkit! Your mother practically killed Larkstar before she could send out search patrols. We woke up and you two were gone. We tore apart the entire camp looking for you. You owe me an explanation, young lady." Azuredusk took a deep breath and sat back, waiting.

Monarchkit glanced at Sparrowkit and started talking, hoping he would play along. "We-uh- went exploring?" she offered, giving a quick innocent look at her mother before glancing at Sparrowkit for help.

"What she said," nodded Sparrowkit. Monarchkit glared at him. "What?" he asked.

Monarchkit breathed in hard. "We-just-wanted-to-see-outside-of-camp-and-we're-really-sorry-for-worrying-you-but-we're-really-tired-so-bye!" She raced toward her nest in the nursery. Sparrowkit hared after her. She closed her eyes before even reaching her nest, and was asleep before she hit the ground. The last thing she felt was Sparrowkit giving her a quick lick on the ear. A weird tingly feeling coursed through her, and she lost consciousness.