Chapter 1: Fix You

Chapter 1: Fix You

"Now go," Mom commanded in a bare whisper once she had finally finished helping me pack. 

I looked down at my bag and then at her. Her blonde hair was so messed up, sticking it out in all the wrong angles. Her pony tail was already out of place. I carefully examined her face with my hand. As my finger rose her cheek, I felt a tear falling. She was obviously terrified and I couldn't blame. I became a terrified as well once I saw the blood drops dripping one by one, coming from the far corner of her left eye.

"Come with me," I begged through sobs. 

She shook her head no and put one hand on my shoulder. Mom bent down to my height, since she was probably five inches taller than me.

"I'll be alright. Don't worry." That was just too hard to believe. "Right now I am worried about you. Just take the first bus that you find, got it? You have your cell phone. Just call me when you get somewhere safe," she repeated the instructions once again. I already knew what I was being asked to do, I just didn't want to do it. 

I looked at her bruised eye, afraid she wouldn't make it. She just looked too exhausted. It was as if her life was drained from her. But then I remembered who taught me to be the strong warrior I've became. She can do it; I know she can. 

To be honest, I didn't know how I was doing physically-wise. I didn't have the chance to look at myself in a mirror, but I wasn't going to stop in the middle of chaos for that. 

I nodded my head, a bit unsure, but accepting everything that I had to do. She knows what she is doing.

"Ebony!" I heard him call for my mom.

"Go!" she exclaimed, giving me a slight push. 

Before I began to run, I gave her the tightest hug I could give, hoping this wouldn't be the last time we'd see each other. Not really wanting to, I let go of her and looked into her eyes. I wanted to stay with her forever, but I knew that that was impossible. Because, after all, I didn't want to stay there forever. 

My feet began to wonder to the back of the house. I opened the back door and ran as fast as I could. Once outside, I felt the night breeze hit me hard on the face. After all that running I had done before, felt exhausted and extremely tired, and the breeze gave me a bit of a push. I jumped over the fence and made it to the other side. Moments after my feet had touched the ground outside of the house, I was able to hear the man scream. A smile found its way to my lips. 

That's my Mom

I put on my hoodie and ran as fast as my legs could take me. I slung my bag over my shoulder and tried my best to get to the train station in less than thirty minutes, which I succeeded at. 

I stood in the busy line, desperate for it to move, but two men arguing with one of the counter ladies weren't really helping. I  can be very patient, but waiting here in the middle of a line under these circumstances didn't help at the moment. It took about fifteen minutes, but the line finally moved, and I quickly ran to the counter.

"Where's the next bus leading to?" I asked the guy who attended. 

He searched for the information in his computer and gave me a smile before answering.

"Maryland," he said cheerfully. His smile slowly faded as he noticed me, probably because of the hoodie I was wearing that covered most of my face. "The next bus would lead you to...Maryland. It leaves in ten minutes." 

Like if I cared where it was heading to. As long as it was somewhere far away, then everything will be alright.

"That will do," I said, handing him the money. 

He gave me the ticket and I thanked him. I know that Maryland isn't extremely far away from Massachusetts, but I know he wasn't going to look for me there. Once the ticket was in my hand, I ran to the bus and got in. I took my seat at the far back. A few more people entered and soon the bus was crowded, but no one sat beside me, and I was thankful for that. I didn't take my hoodie off because I didn't want anyone to see me. I wasn't even sure if I was bleeding or not, but I had my doubts on that, because I defended myself in time. What I might have had was a bruised eye or something like that, but I don't think I was bleeding. Besides, I didn't feel anything dripping down my face but sweat. However, I was feeling a bit numb.

I looked out my window, and saw how it carefully started to rain. A million thoughts ran through my mind. When am I going to see Mom again? Will she be able to survive? What will happen with the man? What will be of me? Where will I stay? 

Ugh, my head was starting to ache. After all, he did push me to the wall and I hit my head on the impact. I shook it, trying to forget everything. I took out my iPod from my bag's external pocket and plugged in my earbuds. 

I was soon heading somewhere where I've never been to, but where I'll be safer. This place has been so difficult for me; maybe too difficult for me. 

I threw my head back, shut my eyes, and blasted the song Fix You by Coldplay.

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your words

And I will try

To fix you

...

What will be of me?