Chapter 24: The Soccer Match

“So are you sure you’re ready for this?”, I asked Cameron, my arms crossed over my chest. I was wearing my soccer shorts and an old T-Shirt I had brought with me.

“I am more than ready. Come on! How good can you be?”, he asked. I chuckled, because I was conscious I wasn’t so bad.

“You’re about to see”, I teased him.

We were in the backyard, waiting for the others to come. The day had finally come. The soccer match. Mrs. Byrd was talking with Mom in a corner, while Carrie was in the kitchen preparing some things and my brother was there with her to help her. The rest of the boys were getting ready up stairs.

“Jude! Look who is here!”, I heard Lana’s normal voice call out as she came through the door, holding someone’s arm along.

“You got your voice back?”, I asked her, but that wasn’t the important question when Cameron saw who Lana was carrying.

“Savannah? What are you doing here?”

Right, I didn’t tell anyone else…

“I invited her”, I quickly said, heading towards Savannah to receive her.

“Maybe you should tell Chris, you know?”, Lana said. “We don’t want him to feel…you know…”

“Yeah, she’s right”, Savannah said.

“Fine, give me a minute”, I said as I headed inside.

*****

“Have you lost it, Jude? The girl hates my guts!”, Chris yelled, running a hand over his face.

“If that was true, she wouldn’t have accepted to come”, I pointed out. I knew that Savannah was just wanting for Chris to prove to her that he still likes her. I mean, don’t all girls want that?

“I am still not sure about it”, he said, shaking. I sighed and got closer to him. Once I had him right in front of me, I slapped his arm. “Ow!”, he wined, rubbing his arm. “I always thought Tyler was acting when he complained after you hit him…I was wrong”, he said, not letting go of his arm. “What was the even for?”

“For you to put a damn grip together! Do you like her yes or no?”, I said, in the same tone a Coach would be talking to a team member.

“Duh!”, he simply answered.

“Then be a fudging man and face her, would you?”, I said. Chris let a smile slowly grow. “Go get her, Dirty Brit.”

He patted my shoulder before giving me a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you, Jude.”

And just like that, he went to get his girl. I got out of his room and when I was about to exit, I saw Dan simply standing there, all alone.

“What are you doing here?”, I asked him. He looked like a creep simply standing there.

“Well, I came to look for you, but you weren’t in your room. Then I heard you yelling at Chris, so I decided to wait here”, he explained. I nodded my head, trying to pretend this was completely normal.

“Cool? So…what did you want me for?”

“Well, I just wanted to warn you that I am really good at soccer, so you better be careful and…”, he trailed off, but all I did was nod my head while chuckling. It was more than obvious I didn’t believe him. “Oh please go easy on me!”, he begged as he hugged my leg. Yeah, he was just filled with surprises.

“Is that really what you came here for?”, I asked, looking down at the red head who didn’t let go of my leg.

“Nope, I came here to ask for details from last night”, he said as he quickly stood up. I scoffed and shook my head.