Blue's

I traveled along the dark roads as it was pouring. My hair and clothes were soaked, but I continued walking. Everything was silent, and it gave me chills. I felt like someone was watching me. Still, there was a sort of comfort in the dark.

•••

Luckily for me, Blue and I don't live too far away from each other. It was still far enough away to make my feet ache.

When I arrived, I took a look at the old, rumbling house. I've been going here for as long as I could remember. The Donavan's made it modern. I walked up their porch and noticed a light on in the living room. I rang the doorbell. A few seconds later Blue answered, looking annoyed.

His facial expression immediately changed. "You're here!" His voice cracked with glee. "Come in!"

I laughed and walked in, observing. Whenever I go to their house, they usually have a different themes to their house. For instance, about a week ago when I was over, I believe their theme could be summed up in one word: beach. They had blown up palm trees, painted waves on their walls, and actually had sand that was imported from Mexico covering their floors. And the best part? Surfboards on stands that acted as seats. Shaka Brah, man.

This time their theme was meditation. Candles were burning that smelt of cinnamon and soap. The lights were tinted to make it a bit darker than usual. They got rid of their dining table and just had a rug. Walls were painted a dark brown and their carpet was, too. Soft, classical music played. It was... well, relaxing.

Just then, Blue's parents came running around the corner to greet me. They were the most exciting parents I've ever met. They dressed like the themes of their homes. Mrs. Donavan had a long skirt with zigzags and squares covering it and a short button-up top that was tucked into the skirt. Mr. Donavan was wearing something more simple and white; a t-shirt and yoga pants.

Mrs. Donavan's smile was large and white, and she had golden blonde hair and brown eyes. Her husband, however, had brown hair and brown eyes, as well as a scruffy beard.

"Why hello Gemma! It's nice to you see over again!" Blue's dad said excitedly. They always seemed like such a happy family. Maybe that was because he had both a mother and a father.

"Hello Mr. Donavan." I said, smiling.

"Oh please," Mrs. Donavan chimed in, "call us Hubert and Wanda." I laughed kindly. Even their names were odd.

When I looked over at Blue, he looked embarrassed. I've met his parents before. Why was he embarrassed now? He quickly made up some excuse to get away from his parents and hide in his room, the only part of the house that was left untouched by his parents.

"So," Blue said, starting up a conversation, "I thought you had to stay home tonight. What happened?"

I groaned and flopped onto his bed. "Remember the 'surprise' my dad had for me? Well, he announced that he had a girlfriend! She's so young she could be my sister! Not to mention she's super model skinny and as pretty as one, too."

"Can I meet her?" Blue winked.

"Ew, never."

He shifted uncomfortably. "I was just kidding."

I threw a pillow at him and he didn't flinch, letting it hit him right in the face. He laughed and jumped on the bed, hitting me repeatedly with the pillow. We always play fight.

After the giggling stopped, we leaned up against the wall in silence. After a few minutes he grabbed my hand and whispered, "Everything's going to be fine Gemma. You have me."

He's been getting more and more serious lately. What's gotten into him?

I shook it off and smiled. He's such a great friend.