Surprises (1/2)

5:47 a.m.

(Ring ring)

I jumped off the kitchen floor where I decided to sleep that night. Sometimes it's fun sleeping in unique places. I grabbed the phone and looked at who was calling. I didn't recognize the number, but I answered it anyways.

"Hello?" A person with a high pitches voice on the other line asked after a few seconds. I realized I forgot to say hello first. I'm always so awkward on phone calls.

"Oh, um, hello." I wiped my eyes and yawned.

"Yeah... I'm looking for John Thicket. Is he home?"

"My dad?" It was strange hearing someone call him by his real name.

"Oh, you're his daughter? I'm always so used to talking to his secretary! Silly me. Anywho, could you get him for me?" I had no clue who this woman was, but I hated her already. She sounds way to happy this early in the morning.

"Sure. Wait- what's your name?"

"I'm Carolyn Birch."

I walked up the stairs and peeked into my dad's room. He was already up and shaving in the bathroom.

"Hi dad." I said, holding the phone behind my back. He didn't say anything to me, so I held the phone out to him. He looked down at the phone and stopped shaving.

"Who is it?" He asked.

"Carolyn." I replied. It was probably just another one of my dad's coworkers asking him a question about how the printer works. Dad is definitely the smartest one there.

My dad snatched the phone away. "Hey, Carolyn. Sorry I didn't answer the phone. I'm just... making breakfast for my daughter." He shut the door to the bathroom, signaling for me to walk away. Why was he lying to her? If she knows him it would be obvious that he would never make me breakfast.

•••

As I ate my cereal, Titan's Crunch, my father thumped downstairs in his suit and tie, the usual dress code. He sat next to me and stared at me. It was a sort of affectionate stare, but it creeped me out. I shoved a spoonful of crunchy deliciousness into my mouth and looked at him.

"What?" I asked angrily, accidentally letting some cereal fall out of my mouth.

"Listen sweetie. Tonight I have a big surprise for you. I just thought you should know so you're not too shocked, okay?"

"I don't like surprises." I muttered. This was a lie, I love surprises, just not from him.

He sighed and left. I wonder what surprise he has for me. Whatever it is, it can't be good.