Chapter 1

Landon's lungs screamed for him to stop, every muscle in his body aching.

"There he is!" The shout came from directly behind him.

Spurred on by the enforcers closing in on him, Landon redoubled his efforts, using the last small amount of energy he had left to slip around a corner and dash down a hidden allyway. Just a few more steps, he though to himself.

If he could just make it to Aurora, the subdistrict of Haven that he lived in, he could easily blend in with the throng of poorly clad people and escape the Justiniat guard.
His fist absent-mindedly clenched around the small package that had caused him so much trouble, he'd come too far now to be caught by some prissy Justinanites that had never done an honest day's work in their lives.

The border was fast approaching, it didn't need a sign, the slight change from buildings in pristine condition to those on there last legs was unmistakable. Landon's feet felt like they were flying, freedom was in reach, he increased his efforts, not pausing to realize something was very, very wrong; it was too... quite.

Thwack! His head hit the force field with a resounding thud, that shot him backwards.

For a few terrible moments he lay on the ground too dazed to move, let alone think of escaping. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of blurred sight and confusion the shouts of enforcement officers closing in helped to clear his befuddled mind. Landon realize in that moment that if he didn't move it would all be over, everything he'd done would not longer have a purpose. He shakily reached out and touched the smooth, clear, interior of the force field concentrating on his power and pulling it forward in his mind. A small riple of energy erupted over the small dome like structure, but it was nothing compared to the giant shock wave he was picturing in his mind. He realized with a start that they had used power reducing material, while not all that rare you had to have high clearance to use it. It was mainly reserved for powerful threats, never wasted on catching a petty thief like himself.

Black figures started apearing around his crumpled body, "Suspect acuired, sir."

The voice was strange and disoriented in Landon's mind. his chest constricted in panic as he realized that he'd failed, he'd failed his little sister, and he didn't know if she'd ever forgive him for the stupid risk he'd taken for her.

His vision started to fade in and out as his hope diminished, and after a few moments of agonizing despair all he saw was black.