Chapter 8 - This is Gospel

"Koschei!" someone called from afar, but his mouth was so full of blood that he couldn't reply. "Oh dear Rassilon". He pulled out a speaker and said something into it that the Master couldn't make out. His eyes were becoming blurry and he could feel every cell in his raging with regeneration energy, but he held back. 

"Why aren't you regenerating? Just regenerate for God's sake. Don't be a stubborn sod like you usually are". 

"Survald, right? You're in the Chancillory Guard?"

"Yes. And you're the great fighter known as the Master. Well, guess what? Everyone still needs you". The Master laughed. 

"Nobody needs me. Rassilon just wants another toy soldier for his perfect army". 

"What about Theta?" he said, taking him slightly aback for randomly referencing his friend. 

"What about him?"

"He'll need you. I heard about what happened. He'll come back. He will. But you can't wait for him if you're dead, so get up and go get him". 

"You're a funny little thing aren't you?" he laughed. "Ever hear the story of the drums. The drums that drove people to killing?"

"I have. When I was little".

"I bet I was the story your parents told you to give you nightmares. Tell me, Survald. Will they stop if I die?"

"I really don't know". 

"Well, no time like the present to find out. Tell Theta to come back one day", he quipped and started to close his eyes. 

"I didn't want to do this, I really didn't, but... well, like you said, no time like the present". Out of his messenger bag he brought out a gun shaped object, but without a barrel. A regeneration accelerator. It was a device in its infant years that could supposedly bring forward a regeneration, but hadn't been tested yet. God knows what the side effects could be. He started it up, a tiny electric spark glowing inside it. Gingerly he pressed it to his bare arm and immediately the Master felt something start up again in his system, like all of his atoms had become supercharged. A yelp escaped from his mouth as his hands glowed with regeneration energy. He always hated regenerating , especially when it was against his will. Stumbling towards the doorway of the camp he hid in the darkness, the regeneration energy pulsing his hands and face. 

"Make it a good one. Not too dramatic", he whispered as the regeneration fully took hold.