Spring 1522 - Family Conference

We held a family conference at my uncle Howard's great house in London, Whitehall. We met in his great library where the dark bound books would muffle the noise from the street. We had men stationed outside the door to prevent eavesdroppers - no-one but a Howard could come near.
Poor Mary looked terrified - and no wonder; she was the Howard pawn that must be played; the hub around which these events would turn.
    "She is fertile?" The Duke addressed our Lady Mother.
    "Her courses are regular and she is a healthy girl." Even I was slightly ruffled by the vulgarity of the conversation, and I felt for Mary's hand next to me and squeezed it gently. Uncle turned towards the roaring fire in a moment of quiet consideration, the richness of his coat taking on a lustre from the lights of the flames. When he turned round again, his face was that of stone.
    "She can't sleep in Carey's bed anymore. The marriage will have to be put aside while the Kind favours her."
    Mary's naturally pale complexion suffered an even worse draining - but it was the only sign she outwardly gave of her dissent to the proposal.
     "I'll speak to Carey's father," my father volunteered, "he'll be expecting it. William's no fool." Uncle nodded, and just as we thought the discussion was over, Mary finally found her voice.
    "I can't... I mean..." Her voice was little more than a whisper.
    "Spit it out, girl." Uncle turned his harsh manner to my sister.
    "I can't do it." Mary gripped tightly onto my comforting clasp and looked down the long wooden table to our fierce Uncle. "Sir, I am sorry," she continued bravely, her voice wavering, "but I have sworn in the sight of God to cleave only to my husband. I know the King is the King, but surely, it is still the sin of adultery? You can't want me to do this, sir. Surely not?"
     There was a tense silence, and I, myself, was unwilling to place myself in the firing line to protect my dear sister. Finally, my Uncle, the falcon, snapped his accusatory gaze up to my father.
     "What the hell am I supposed to do with this clear conscience, Thomas?" My father squirmed uncomfortably under the subtle accusation, and George, dear George, stepped forward and cleared his throat tentatively.
    "Mary," he began slowly, "if you had a son - or even a daughter - with the King..." He faltered as he glanced down to see Mary's innocent gaze fixed uncomprehendingly on his. My dear George. "Well, the King would need to know that the child was his, and his alone. "
    Mary stared blankly around and turned to look at me in confusion. I gave her an encouraging smile and watched the implications of this plan dawn on her.
    "Oh!" She gasped, stepping back slightly and bumping into me, shaking her head wildly. "You want me to bear the King's son? As a bastard?"
    Another silence ensued. Again, my Uncle was the first to break it with a frustrated sigh. "George, go and find William and explain our situation. Thomas, explain to his father. Anne and Elizabeth, stay here with me and Mary. I think we need to explain more clearly."
    My father nodded and headed to the door with George, who lingered uncertainly, looking as if he wished to say something.
"Yes?" The Duke's voice was strained and tired, now.
"With respect, sir," George shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot, "I believe it would be better for Anne to break the news to William - and certainly better for me to explain to Mary." I shot George a bitter look, indignant at his dismissal of my sisterly skills.
"What on earth for? No, Anne, you stay here with me." Howard apparently turned towards me and gestured casually for me to take a seat, but I saw that his hawkish gaze stayed fixed on George. I strolled casually and stood behind the back of the oak chair, realising Uncle would concede to George's plan once he'd heard the reasoning behind it.
"Anne has never been one for diplomacy within the family," George began, sharp enough to realise the implications of what he was about to say, "and William seems quite taken with Anne."
I watched my knuckles turn white as my grip on the back of the chair tightened considerably. I was carefully watching my Uncle out of my peripheral vision; studiously keeping my gaze steadily and calmly on George.
Sadly, the Duke did not react so serenely - as I glanced at him, his fierce gaze snapped up to meet mine and I quickly returned to looking at George. This, I suppose, was my mistake.
Recognising my guilty look, Howard rounded on me, momentarily forgetting the presence of my siblings and mother.
"Fool!" It took all of my resilience not to quail under his furious tone. I took a quick glance at the doorway, with George frozen in front of it - I supposed there was no way to escape quickly now, anyway.
"My Lord Uncle-"
"You are not to meddle with married men, Anne! Furthermore, he is your brother-in-law - to invite his attention is a mortal sin." The injustice of this accusation provoked my temper enough to forget my previous fear.
"Uncle, you cannot believe I invited this attention! It is simply unfair to blame me for the lust I inspire within many of the young courtiers. It is only natural they should look for a suitable partner, and why not I? With Mary so obviously bearing the King's favour, and we, as her family, on the rise with her, why should the men not wish me for their bride?" As I finished speaking, Howard's eyes darkened, and mother and Mary studiously avoided my intense gaze, turning away from me.
"Anne." My Uncle spoke very slowly, enunciating as if speaking to a child or a peasant,
"In case you had forgotten, Carey is already married, to your sister, here. William is as your brother in the sight of God. I trust you must do everything you can to dissuade his attention."
"I can assure you, I have done nothing to invite it!" A slight movement from behind me alerted me to the fact that George seemed to have found his tongue again.
"She speaks the truth, Lord Uncle." I shot George a grateful glance.
"Can you attest to this, Mary?" The Duke of Norfolk addressed my sister, and desperate to keep his attention on me, I did not even attempt to quell the spiteful remark tripping off the tip of my tongue.
"She's been a bit preoccupied with the King, wouldn't you say, my Lord? Probably hasn't noticed her poor, abandoned husband for weeks now - too full of herself."
I'd like to say I instantly regretted my harsh words - but lying is one of the sins I do my best to avoid.
"Very well." Uncle appeared to tire of us Boleyns. After all, he is only a brother to my mother - he has no obligation to offer his support to us. I must concede that he is most benevolent indeed to do so. "You all may leave me, now. George, I trust you to mind your sister Mary's behaviour - Anne, too, if needs be." He paused as if in consideration; however, I suspected it was simply for effect. "Anne, I will leave you to deal with Carey. However, if I smell the slightest whiff of a scandal around you in the next few weeks, I will send you away to your mother's country home of Hever, far away from the court, until you are far past your childbearing years. You understand this, I am sure."
I inclined my head stiffly, to show my assent, and swept from the room with my brother standing to shield me from the accusatory gaze of Howard, boring into my back.