Spring 1522 - Mary's Removal

I met William amidst the chaos of Mary's maid packing her things to take them to the Queen's rooms. Of course, Mary would share a chamber with me, now, housed as a single woman at court in the Queen's rooms. Shoes and gowns were thrown on the bed of the bedchamber he shared with Mary; cloaks were tossed over chairs, jewel boxes were everywhere, and his poor young face displayed his shock.
Appearing somewhat dazed, William furrowed his brows in confusion and turned towards me as I slipped into the busy room.
"Anne? Anne, what's happening? The maid has orders not to speak to me, and-"
"Hush, William." I adopted the most piously concerned expression I could muster, and stepped kindly towards him, taking hold of his hand as a mother would a child.
Carey seemed reassured at my gentle touch, and regained part of his shattered composure. I led him carefully to the two armchairs beside the fireplace, and seated him there to explain - I was wary of frightening him again.
"Lord Carey-"
"William." He spoke firmly, with a frank gaze that made him appear trustworthy. He was a handsome young man, one that any woman might have favoured. "Call me William."
I nodded, and began again. "William, you are no fool. You will surely have noticed your wife rising in the King's favour."
"Aye, and I with it." William spoke bitterly, reflecting the resentment I, myself, felt at having to rely on my sister for a rise in fortune.
"Our Lord Uncle and father have made a decision regarding Mary's involvement with the King. They have sent me to you-"
William laughed a hollow laugh, his voice cracking with concealed emotion.
"You would not come to me of your own accord?" His eyes showed a pathetic attempt at flirtation, and I almost pitied him. Nevertheless, I responded as I had been trained to in the magnificent French court - as if I were utterly overcome with the honour of receiving such attention.
"I wouldn't presume to - I could never say... I mean..." I blushed delicately, pausing before continuing, "I offered to come and see you." This last comment was barely more than a whisper, and Carey seemed childishly satisfied with my flattering response, giving me leave to continue.
    "I am come here to bring you tidings of the decision my family has taken. They ask me to kindly request for you to relinquish Mary whilst the King favours her."
    I had expected William to react with anger, or maybe even sadness. But what happened next was yet stranger - he seemed to close up within himself, like a tortoise returning into the safety of his shell.
    "I am to understand," Carey began, tight-lipped, "that I am to divorce my wife? The wife that, if I remember correctly, the very people who have just taken this decision forced me to marry?" His sardonic tone made me wince as if to defend our society's conventions of marriage.
    "No, my Lord, no. My Uncle simply requests -"
    "Oh-ho! So I am to remain married to your sister, officially?"
    "That is the idea of it, sir. As you can see from this," I gestured about the room with maids and servants rushing frantically in and out, "Mary is to share a bedchamber with me, housed as a single woman."
    Just as I thought Carey was resigned to accept this proposition, he stood up abruptly, startling the fair-haired maid that I was convinced had been eavesdropping on rather a lot of the conversation. I gave her a hard stare to let her know she was rumbled, and as I'd intended, she reddened and had the grace to grab Mary's closest gown and rush from the room.
    "I suppose," Carey's voice was tainted with anger, now, "my father is aware of this?"
    "I believe that is so, yes," I answered carefully, watching William pace back and forth for some time longer.
    "Tell me, Anne," Carey stopped suddenly, turning to face me in my armchair, "how long is this to last? This... Wheeling and dealing of your family? This dishonest conduct from Mary, and the King, for that matter! This..." I was horrified to glimpse the beginnings of tears in the man's eyes. "This abominable behaviour towards me, and insult to my family?" I rushed towards him as he stumbled towards the empty armchair, overcome by his emotions. He shook me off violently, shakily regaining his balance.
    "What makes you think that I have need of you, simply because my wife is gone to me?" I started in confusion, and then remembered my poise.
    Holding my inquisitive, innocent expression, I inquired as to the meaning of this outburst.
    "Why, damme, Anne!" I lifted my head haughtily to conceal my gasp at the vulgarity of his language; as if straight from the mouth of a common sailor!
    "Has your great family sent you to tempt me, now? By God, you can go back to them and tell them it's working, the little weasels!" I was less concerned by his speech, now, than by the redness of his face and neck, perhaps caused by a malady of the heart, I thought, coolly.
    "You need not pull that innocent face with me, young lady! You may be only 14, but might I remind you that you remain of marriageable age? Oh, what the sinful court of France has done to you, dear girl," he continued in a more mournful tone, shaking his head.
    "It has taught you to play with simple men's hearts, tugging them this way, then that, has it not? Can you not see half the court is besotted with you already?"
    I could not help a smirk at this last comment, which resulted in a very angry gaze from Carey.
    "Anne, whilst your sister may be the whore in your family, hear it from me that you will be the one to bring shame upon them with your constant flirtation. A scandal will surround you not too far in the future, I'd wager."
    As I was still thinking of a suitable reply to this wholly unjust accusation, a flustered Mary rushed into the room, all apologies.
    William stopped the tide of excuses with a small gesture of his hand.
    "I see you are on the rise, madam." He addressed her stiffly, which panicked Mary further.
    "My Lord, I must follow the wishes of my Uncle, you know that, William? William, I cannot express what I wish to say, in that this is not what I wished, in that-"
    "You wished to be the King's whore with no implications on me? Poor child - you are still naïve to life's cold realities?" Carey paused, studying my sister's flushed face, before gently taking her hand and kissing it, as if in final farewell.
    "When they return you to me, perhaps a week from now; perhaps a year - I shall try to remember you as you are now, standing so innocently, so angelically, with your golden hair gleaming, in all this mess; a mere child."
    Mary smiled weakly at him as he swept out of the great oak door. Once he was no longer in sight, she turned to me.
    We stood still together, for a moment, in a room of movement and hurry, each alone in our thoughts.