Chapter eleven: True power

We trained for the whole day and I thought we would never stop. It made me feel energized, despite exhaustion. The four of us got to know each other better and better as each training progressed. Victor always wanted to be the guy who does impossible things (Which he couldn't yet) because of his abilities, but he has so much to learn and he has yet to discover his limitations. Lenard tends to have every single crush on every single girl, but every single moment, he moves on to another girl. Weird. I'm not judging, but I guess Lenard is that type of person who always looks for a person's appearance one by one. Chloriette always wanted music ever since she's heard of it, but her family won't let her play (It's quite unusual for them to hate music, especially if the issue involved their daughter). She ran away and got kidnapped by a nasty witch and a hideous wendigo and met these two boys.

They knew me as a troublemaker because like I always said as a kid, "I can't help it." And I told them about my sisters. Our siblings changed a lot the more we grew up. Lenard even said, "Good for you!" with a thumbs up. We went back to our physical training as we lifted weights many times with specific reps. We helped Lenard because he couldn't lift a single pound. We ran a mile until we reached several yards. "I've never felt more alive!" Victor said in ecstasy. Even I feel the same way. I felt faster.

After that, it's basic combat time! "All right, I'm impressed that the four of you did quite well. Now, it is time to test your basic skills when it comes to engaging in combat." The ground where we're at rose as Claes snapped his fingers, his snap echoing all around us. The clouds passed through us as we looked up in astonishment. The air became colder, nipping at our skins. "Whoa, okay, first I've become seasick, and now this." Lenard almost got dizzy.

Claes put his hands behind his back, "All of you will be tested by fighting the neiyads with hand-to-hand combat. Remember what I taught you. Focus on the attack, either block or counter it."

"Wait, what are neiyads?' Victor asked, but it was too late as fake neiyads are already sprouting out of the surface like growing trees. When we turned to face Claes, he was gone as if he wasn't there in the first place. "Well," Lenard said, " That's rude."

"Never mind about that," said Chloriette. "Right now, we're going to test our combat for real this time."

"I guess the schedule does show us great training sessions to become Flash warriors." Lenard shook both of his arms as if he was freezing to death. Why did Claes even bring us here? "So Vic, you ready as always?" Lenard turned to Victor, who was very happy about this training session. 

"Bloody pancakes, yeah! First, punching a wendigo's face and stretching the witch's nose, and now this? I have never been so pumped up. What about you MaXabiere, you ready?"

I thought he'd never ask. "I learned and trained a lot, Victor. A lot. Why do you think I'm not ready?"

The neiyads' appearances come in different types; some were wooden figures, plant figures, and stone figures. I had to remind myself that this is basic combat, so it wouldn't be so hard. But I must keep my focus.

The neiyads charged at us. They're way too fast! But Victor went dashing in sideways, using his fury with his fists and kicks as if he went berserk. His style was more wild and acrobatic.

Lenard, well . . . I think he got it. I could even tell that he was so proud of himself for being a nerd with martial arts skills. But he still screamed, dodging a right jab from a neiyad, which resulted in Lenard kicking it in the nut. In contrast to Victor, Lenard stood his guard conservatively.

As for Chloriette, she was getting a hand with her taekwondo kicks. Every block and every attack, she moved so swiftly yet fast. 

But what about me? Of course, I handled this quite well. Somehow, I managed to break their attacks by sweeping their arms and pushing them towards the ones that were charging at me. More like a counterattack like Claes taught us.