Chapter 13: Jinx's Tale

Chapter 13

     Jinx laughed and walked over to the icebox, grabbed a tall bottle of ginger ale and sat on the couch, kicking her sandals off and wiggling her toes on the coffee table.

     The students all walked slowly into the room. They stared at Jinx, whose back was turned to them. They slowly walked in front of the couch. They startled Jinx, at first.

     “Whoa, party up in Shade’s room!” Jinx said, grabbing some Droobles from her pocket and eating them. “Where’s the hot tub when you need it?”

     “Wow,” Dan said, looking at Jinx, “You’re tall!”

     “Thank you, Captain Obvious!” Jinx replied with a chuckle, “And you’re ugly. Since we’re stating the obvious stuff here.” Jinx grinned at that one, taking a swig from her ginger ale.

     “Everyone, this is Jinx Corryn,” Shade said, introducing her. “She is my Auror partner, my roommate, and my best friend. Jinx, these are.. Well, these are my students, I guess.”

     “Got it,” Jinx said.

     “My name’s Sam Meadows,” Sam said, extending her hand to Jinx, “It’s a pleasure to meet ya!”

     “Oh, a Southern Girl!” Jinx said, “Wait, hold on a sec: You do Maroon Five or Brooks and Dunn?”

     “Brooks and Dunn!” Sam said, “Are you kiddin’ me? There ain’t no comparison, girl!”

     “Oh, I like this one!” Jinx said, shaking Sam’s hand. “She’s a keeper, this one!”

     “That’s Dan Titan, Star Saoirse, Rain Fox Cloudstorm, Ignatia Jones, and Echo Turan,” Shade said, introducing the others. They all waved or nodded when he announced their names.

     “Star Saoirse,” Jinx said, “You’re the girl down the street from us, right?”

     “That’s me,” Star answered.

     “You’re the little firecracker that Shade says is a clone of me. C’mere and let me take a look at you.”

     Jinx looked at her curiously.

     “You get walking down Congress Street when a couple of Red Jackets run up on you. What do you do?” Jinx asked her.

     “I kick them in the bowtruckles and curse them by making their jackets turn into weasels and bite them,” Star said.

     “Yeah, this one’s a keeper, too,” Jinx said, nodding in approval.

     “You’re roommates?” Ignatia asked.

     “Yup, live in the same place,” Jinx replied.

     “Y’all aren’t, you know?” Sam said nervously and curiously. “Y’all ain’t, like, roommates, an’ such, are ya?”

     “Like, you both live together?” Rain Fox asked, “Do you sleep on the couch?”

     “No, I sleep in the bed, duh!” Jinx said, taking another swig of her ginger ale.

     All eyes turned to Shade.

     Shade figured out what the group was thinking. “Oh, Godric, no!” Shade exclaimed. “She’s my best friend! She sleeps in the bedroom. I sleep on the couch in the living room. We do not sleep in the same bed! Well, I try to sleep. She snores awfully loud.”

     Jinx grabbed a packet of Droobles and threw it at him, narrowly missing him.

     Shade laughed, “It’s true, you know?”