Chapter 28: Lessons

Chapter 28

     Weeks went by with Salem Academy and the whole of the town of Salem at relative peace. Reports of the werewolves attacking people completely stopped. Winter came into full swing and the snow thickened as it fell in heavy blankets on the New England area. Where the Parasites normally ventured out and went a hunting along New England, no reports came in about werewolves attacking anyone.

     After the confrontation with Leech, the captives that Sherman and the group had freed from Parasites went to the Ministry to report what they had seen. Teller and Jinx, along with Sherman Locke, talked to Ms. Turan about what had happened. Jinx then talked to the Magistrate Vonnegut Creek. Creek set the whole of the Aurors Office on task to find Leech de Bauch. Most of the efforts of the Ministry went to trying to find and locate all of the werewolves of the Parasites, but not one trace could be found of them. They seemingly disappeared.

     “They must have another hideaway somewhere,” Shade told Jinx, Teller, and Chris Chimera.

     “If they do, bro,” Chris said, “My guess is that the place is up north. There’s no way it’s down here. I mean, c’mon, they normally hunt up north. Plus, Salem and Boston have been crawling with Aurors. I’m telling you, bro. I’d bet my eagles they’re hiding in the north. Why don’t we start looking for clues up there?”

     Teller and Jinx nodded. “Most of that space up there is Native American sovereign territory,” Teller said. “I’ll go check with the Native American Affairs Liaison Office, see if they have any reports or if they can help at all. Wow, I’ve never actually said that out loud. That’s a mouthful.”

     The others all laughed.

     “Try to focus on where the attacks have originated,” Jinx said. “We might be able to spot a pattern or something, you know? You two boys can handle all the legwork, right?”

     Chris and Teller looked at one another.

     “And what are you supposed to do?” Chris asked her.

     “What I do best, ‘bro’. I kick butt and take names.” Jinx grinned.

     “Regardless,” Shade told them, “Be careful. Talk to Sherman about using some of those Talk-Boxes. They really do come in handy. Plus, we’d be able to find you quick if you need help.”

     “Sounds cool, bro,” Chris said.

     “You really think Leech is out there?” Teller asked. “Up north, I mean.”

     “I think Chris is onto something,” Shade answered. “He’s hiding. We haven’t seen him down here. The north seems like a logical place to look next.”

     “I’d say he’s waiting,” Teller added. “He’s waiting for something, but I haven’t a clue as to what. He’s up to something. After all that you told us, Shade, I think he’s waiting for you.”

     “Why me?” Shade asked.

     “Because how many people can say that they faced Leech de Bauch and lived to tell about it? Call it a hunch but I think he’s waiting for you to show your face.”

     Shade didn’t answer. “It wasn’t me that faced him, it was Rain Fox,” he wanted to say. He bit his lip. He knew that he still needed to keep the Magical Pendants and his speculations about them secret for now; secret from the rest of the Aurors. Jinx knew a little, so did Sherman. But the rest of the Aurors were still left in the dark. “If he’s waiting for me, then he’s going to find me a terrible thing to wait for. I’ll be very disappointing for him.”