Chapter 31: Revelations

Chapter 31

Though the danger of Leech de Bauch and his Parasites had passed, the students kept arriving on Saturdays as usual. The 'Nature Walks' became part of their routine. Shade did not mind. He would chaperone their walks into the Great Woods and take pleasure in being the person that they confided in, trusted, and kept giving them training. They would ask how to do spells and he'd do his best in instructing them.

Echo and Dev kept their relationship going. She found herself coming to more Quidditch games than she had ever been to in her life. She cheered for Putnam more than she cheered for her ward of Parker, much to the chagrin of her Parker wardmates.

Nymphara, Spirit, Ignatia, and Star formed a strong bond of friendship. More often, Star was the one teaching the others tricks and moves that she had learned over time, despite being younger than the others.

Echo, Dan, Sam, Dev, and Rain Fox formed the other group of bonded friendship. They were the older students and they got along very well. The older group, however, tended to be less serious than their younger counterparts, mostly because of Sam and Dan's propensity for spontaneous dancing and Dan and Dev's tendency to prank the girls.

At meal times in Commoner's Hall the group sat apart from the other students, a mixed group of Putnam, Parker, Hubbard, and Bishop students. Most the other students of Salem snickered at the Junior Phoenixes, but others who had heard rumors about their exploits talked highly of them. They had gained a small notoriety for being adventurers and, to some, troublemakers.

After Leech was gone, Shade spoke to the Order's Galleon in order to send a message to Kingsley.

"Leech is dead. The girls are safe. Now what?"

He waited several days before he got a response on the Galleon. He was sitting in Commoner's Hall as the students and staff ate dinner when he felt the coin burn in his pocket.

"Good to hear. Danger has not passed. Will talk later."

The danger had not passed? What did that mean? Shade wondered. Now that Leech de Bauch was dead and Scorn Scrapluk was arrested, what danger remained?

"You think there are more Parasites out there?" Jinx asked over the Talk-Box.

"I don't know, Jinxie," Shade replied. "I doubt that's the trouble he was referring to. Leech kept saying 'We' when he was talking to me and to Rain Fox but I don't think he meant himself and the Parasites, and I doubt that he was referring to himself and Scorn. He talked one time about someone who was paying him. Had to have been the same person that was paying Scorn."

"I thought Scorn was working for Leech?"

"I don't think so," Shade answered. "They never worked together. That first time we snuck into the castle, his boys said something like Scorn came and went as he pleases. They also mentioned something about vampires. I'm betting that vampire crew up in the Ravenswood. The Parasites were talking about the vampires up in the Ravenswood, but I doubt they were his partners, let alone co-conspirators."

"The vampires? Those losers?"

"The vamps and the wolves have had a mutual agreement for a while. At least, that's what Sherman has told me. Besides, I doubt the vamps have enough coin to pay for both the services of Scorn and Leech."

"So we're talking someone higher up," Jinx deduced.

"Someone who can afford it, yeah. I'd say Cedrique Devereaux-level rich status."

Jinx laughed. "I doubt his family's out to get you or the girls."

"Of course it would not be the Devereauxs. But someone with that much coin in their purses; someone with clout. He said something about a woman, too. Someone who I think has a Pendant. I'm guessing the person with the Pendant of Darkness."