Faded Love

Here you guys go. My first short story. Hope you all like it. Please comment on my writing errors so i can fix them. Thank you and enjoy!!!
-------------------------------------------
After work

I let out a sigh while unlocking the door to my house. I can smell dinner instantly. Gently I close the door and put down my purse. Taking off my jacket, I shout down the hallway.

"John, are you in the kitchen?"

"Ya. Come here, dinner is almost done." I hear him reply.

Once I finish putting my coat in the closet, I make my way down the hallway and into the kitchen. When I enter, I can see my husband facing the stove on the wall. I walk to the island and plant myself on a stool.

John turns to face the island with two plates in his hands. He sets one down in front of me, and the other plate he drops beside me. Gradually he makes his way around the island, with my eyes on his every move.

As he sits next to me on a stool, I look down at my plate of food. He gently leans towards me as what I assume a "hello" kiss. I continue to stare at my plate, and instead do something else.

"How was your day," I ask innocently. He holds his position, but then slowly gets the hint and leans out.

"It was fine, I dropped by the office for couple of hours today." He responded in a confused tone. I just ignore the questioning gaze he was giving me and continue a normal conversation.

"Good for you. Did anything else happen?" I ask curiously to distract him. All the while picking at my food.

"Not really, I just fixed up the house a little bit. What about you? How was your day?" He replies forgetting about the kiss and starts eating his food.

"Ugh. Dont even get me started," I complain.

That night

I look over to the left side of the bed. John is slightly snoring, and thats when I know the coast is clear. Very quietly I lift the covers off of me and slowly put my feet on the hard wood floor. As I put weight on my feet the floor creaks. I snap my head toward the sleeping John and he doesnt even stir. I lift myself from the bed and tiptoe to the hallway.

When I reach the hallway I let out a sigh of relief. I walk down the hallway and descend the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs the front door is on my left and the dinning room is ahead of me.

I take a right and walk down another hallway. When I reach the front room on my right I open the door to the stairway.

I gradually make my way down, closing the door behind me. Reaching the end I walk to the couch.

I lay myself down and reach for the blanket on the end of the couch to cover me.

I do this every night. Of course John doesnt know. I just dont feel right, sleeping in the same bed together.

It started two months ago, when the bank employed a guy named Joe that was my age. I was the one to train him.

Whenever our hands bumped or our shoulders touched, I would get this tingly feeling in my stomach.

Then about a month ago, when John was out of town for his Trade Company, Joe and I went out for drinks. Joe was drunk and I was only tipsy. We were talking, when all of a sudden he leaned towards me and captured my lips with his. For a second I was shocked, then I responded and kissed him back. The senstion running through my body was unreal. After a moment my senses came back to me, and I pushed him off.

Then I went home and cried all night. I couldnt believe what I had done. I cheated on my husband and liked it.

Thats when I started drifting away from John. Very gradually my feelings of love for John steadily faded.

Two weeks ago I began to sleep in the basement. I always leave for work before John wakes up, so he never notices. I know I shouldnt feel like this but I do.

I softly close my eyes acknowledging what I have to do tomorrow.

The next night ( around 6)

I storm into the house. If I don't do this now I won't be able to do it at all.

I hear rustling in the kitchen, so I speed walked to it. When I enter the kitchen I can see John at the fridge getting ingredients. I linger in the doorway, trying to gather the courage to speak.

"John we need to talk." He slams the refrigerator door shut in surprise while turning around briskly. In the process he drops of milk carton, spilling it everywhere.

"Honey, don't scare me like that." He says very frustrated.

"You can worry about that later," as I point to the milk. "Can we talk?" I add.

"What's wrong? Have you been crying?" He says, changing his tone. I reach up and wipe the tears that are coming down my face.

"Follow me," I demand while walking towards the dining room. He silently comes as I move around the table on the opposite side. He sits by the kitchen, so he can face me. I pull out papers from my purse that I haven't put down since I got home. I turn and push them towards him.

"Read," I demand again. He gently picks the papers up and begins reading. After a few moments of awkward silence, his eyes light up with recognition.

"No no no," he exclaims dropping the papers onto the table. This just makes me cry harder. He abruptly stands up, pushing his chair out. He starts pacing the floor and runs his fingers through his hair.

"Why? I don't understand," he says still pacing.

"John, please sit down." I barely croak out through the tears. He stops pacing and sit back down.

"Why?" He pleads with me. I try to recollect myself to give him an answer.

"I think.... you know why. We have been drifting apart.... for a while. It's even.... getting to the part when I can't even sleep in.... the same bed as you." I respond as calm as I can.

"No, we can work this out. We don't need to go to this extent," he argues with me.

"I think we do. But if I'm the only one who can admit we need a divorce then so be it," I say getting slightly frustrated. "I'll give you some time," I say as the tears keep coming down faster. I stand up, but he continues to look at me all dumbfounded. I walk out the dining room then the front door, slamming it behind me.

4 months later

"I had a great night with you," I say genuinely.

"I did too," Joe responds with a smile on his face. I get onto my tippy toes and he leans forward. Our lips touch and I get the same tingly feeling in my stomach. Life is good!
----------------------------------------
Did you guys like it?
Comment on what you think.
Next short story will be next saturday.
Thank you and enjoy!!!