A Daring New Year

Rachel sighed,and placed down her book on her bedspread. She felt her cold gold earrings press against her skin, she winced and took them out of her ears.Five minutes until 2016. Adele was singing an impossibly high note on her phone, while her tv showed Superstars performing. She suddenly wondered where her dad was."Out at a party." She reminded herself. "Just like every other New Years."She thought,tugging at a thread on her sky blue silk pajama bottoms. Rachel tried to forget the loneliness tied around her heart, squeezing tighter and tighter."Elaine!!!" Rachel's maid came dashing into the room,her ebony locks strewn all over her face, her nightgown pressed to her legs. Finally after a few minutes her maid panted "What is it you need Miss.Dare??? Rachel shook her head. "Honestly Elaine, call me Rachel." Of course.... Rachel." You may leave." Rachel dismissed her maid, and picked up her book once more. "Bu-t-t Miss.Da-I mean Rachel,why is it you called me???" Elaine sputtered. "I was lonely." Rachel replied. Elaine knelt over and pressed her bony hand to Rachel's forehead. "Are you sure you sure you're feeling alright." Elaine fussed. "I'm fine." Elaine slowly exited the room, occasionally glancing back at the child. "Happy new year." "Happy new year Ellie" Ellie,"the young woman laughed, pleased with her new nickname. She at last shut the door leaving Rachel alone once more. Rachel suddenly heard a countdown. Her head whipped toward the tv. She zipped to the window and pressed her hand against the cool glass. "5,4,3,2,1!!!!!" "Happy new year dad, whatever party you're at,happy new year." Rachel thought,tears running down her cheeks. "Happy New Year."