Shadows

Max stared at the sand flying by outside the windshield of his car. It wasn't his car from the start. It was Immortan's. But now it was his.

Immortan's citadel hadn't fallen easily. Max risked everything to free the citadel. Now that everyone could use the water, He knew that everyone would want to stay. Everyone would want him to stay.

But he can't. He can't stay put. He can't stay still. If he does, he'll see the people he didn't save.

The ghosts will haunt him. Fighting evil, staying alive, adrenaline keeps the ghosts at bay. Adrenaline keeps his mind focused on the present. So he left.

He took Immortan's car and left. He had to keep moving. But he can't for much longer. The gas gauge on his car told him he could probably go two miles, but then, forget it. He needed gas. He knew where gas town was, so he headed there.

He hadn't gone half a mile when he saw a gas truck, with a huge tanker of gas, heading toward him. When the vehicle saw him, it executed a quick u-turn and tried to get away. Max's car was faster and he knew it, so he floored the accelerator. As he was pulling up parallel to the truck, two black cars, one on each side of the gas tanker, jumped over sand dunes and pulled parallel to the truck also.

A man clothed in black from head to foot climbed out of the open skylight in the car in front of Max.

The man was unarmed, and he jumped from the roof of the car onto the side of the gas tanker, grasping some of the metal bars on the side.

It was then that Max realized what these people were doing. They were stealing his gasoline. He pulled his trusty pistol out of his belt and took aim, his arm hanging out of the open side windshield.

He fired quickly and then threw the pistol onto the dashboard as he focused on driving. Max had hit the man's hands. He could tell because they instinctively let go of the bar. At the last minute, the man in the dark clothes realized he had let go of the railing, and made a wild grab for it. He missed, and fell backwards into the sand. Max didn't even pause to look as his car drove right next to the wounded warrior.

The other people in his car, obviously not happy, pulled a lightning quick circle with their car. It being faster than any car Max had seen, it finished it's loop next to Max's car heading the same way as Max, at the same speed as Max. He knew what was coming next. Max reached for his pistol on the dash,  but before he could touch it, the car rammed him. Max's car swerved sideways into the gas tanker, which exploded with a force enough to shred Immortan's vehicle to pieces.

The pieces of Max's car went everywhere. Max and the chair he was in were the only two pieces that stayed intact. Unfortunately, they were half buried in the sand. Max groaned and looked at himself.

His left side had a huge gash while his left arm had tons of scratches from shrapnel. It hurt. A lot. But the pain triggered adrenaline and the adrenaline kept him moving. He moved his hand to try to unbuckle his buried seatbelt, but he was struck across the face and he blacked out.