War

Max settled in behind the car, his armor and equipment weighing him down. Sam nestled in beside him.
"Aw come on Max, don't look so down. It's just some rioters. We can finish them easy."
"I don't know, Sam." Max muttered. "Why were we given orders to use lethal force?"
"How should I know? Now let's just follow orders, and scope out the area."

Max and Sam moved out from behind the car and quickly shuffled down the ruined streets. This city had been the basis of a rebellion for months now. Anything resembling civilization had been torn from the earth.

Max pushed on, Sam following behind with the rest of his squad.
"We have to move fast." Max grunted. Suddenly there was a smacking sound, and one of his men cried out.
"Sniper!" Max called, and dropped behind a broken wall. The rest of the squad followed suit, taking cover. Sam checked the body.
"He's gone, Max."

Max sighed, then gave a quick peek over the wall. A bullet whizzed past his nose.
"Got him. He's on the second floor of the building at the end of the street. Half of you, go with Sam to get him. The rest of us will draw his fire." Sam and his half quickly moved down the street, Max and the others firing quick bursts before ducking behind the wall. The sniper was distracted, this plan might work.

A gray object landed behind Private James Patterson. Max heard it fall, and turned toward him.
"Grenade!" He shouted, and dropped to the ground. His world exploded. His vision blurred, hearing gone. He could taste ash in his mouth, but felt his head still lying on the ground. Then his hearing slowly returned, and he heard gunshots.

He raised his head, wincing at the pain. He saw Sam's squad, his men getting pummeled by resisters hidden in various buildings.
"Ambush." Max muttered. He dragged himself to a nearby building, covered himself with dirt, and tried to be as still as possible. He had wounds in his side and head. He didn't know how bad. Pretty soon he felt the blood loss take effect, and he passed out.